Dominican Republic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jahhaas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife has a free ticket on Delta that we have to use before next summer. That limits our options for a February vacation. My wife thinks that we should go to the Dominican Republic because the air connections look pretty good from here. I don't see much on ScubaBoard about diving there. Can anyone give me information on the diving? I see that some of the hotels have dive centers so I figure I will be able to dive. If anyone has stayed at any of the hotels there I would appreciate any information you have about the lodging and the diving. Thanks. Joe

My wife and I ended up spending a week in DR for basically the same reason... We could fly non-stop from Boston, stay a week in DR, then head to Curacao non-stop for another week, then to Cayman's (yah was an awesome dive trip and DR was virtually for free the way the flights worked out). We have dove most of the Carribean and found DR rather disappointing. Cave diving was cool but ocean wasn't the best. We stayed at Boca Chica, near Santa Domingo. Supposedly diving is better farther east, possibly towards Punta Cana

We won't be going back, the island is very poor, food was bad, and we're really easy to please. If you go stay at a decent resort, it would be worth the extra $$. Better yet, there is much better diving around the Carribean.

Check this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=106991

Regarding the different areas to stay, there are four big resort communities... can't comment, not really my thing. I did really like the north coast between Sosua and Cabarete, but even so, if you go, learn the mantra "Hey, it's the DR", and relax. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom