BARBADOS TRIP REPORT...PART 2...long sucka !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
THE CATAMARAN TOURS……

I have always found that the cat tours are one of the best bargains going on the islands I have visited. We took a 10 am until 3 pm cat tour that took us to three different locations. The first location was where there were an abundance of sea turtles and everyone snorkeled with the turtles. Regardless of how you feel about interaction with sea life, for the average non diver this was great stuff. The second location we stopped at was an area known for its fish life and again you could snorkel. What they didn’t tell you was….that after everyone got in the water they threw fish food over the side and it was a feeding frenzy. One poor lady thought she was going to be eaten by piranhas. God could she scream !! The final stop was at a nice beach where you could swim…or just chill. There was a great lunch served on the cat and man was there soooooo much food. And needless to say there was the ever present rum punch and other drinks that came as part of the price. In fact, they had several different rum bottles mounted so that you could come by on your own and just push your glass on the dispenser and have all the rum you wanted.

THE RUM DISTELLERIES……

There are a number of rum distilleries on Barbados. The two most famous are the Mount Gay and the Malibu distilleries. I had toured the Malibu once before but went back again. Both are pretty interesting and …again….samples are involved. The Malibu place has its own beach so you can go for the tour and stay for the beach as your admittance fee covers usage of the beach. The Mount Gay place offers a special luncheon twice a week after its tour. Both places can be seen in half a day if you just do the tours.

OISTINS FISH FRY…….

Oistins is a little town that on every Friday and Saturday night have a big fish fry and music. Friday nights were the happening nights this year. Lots of locals come out and they set up huge speakers and a DJ pumps out the reggae and other music as well. You can get a huge meal and a couple of beers for under $10 US. There are vendors around as well so you can do some last minute shopping if you like. The fish are super fresh. There is a prep area you can visit if you come early and see the fish coming right off the boat, over to the cut up area, and off to the cook. Actually…there are several cooks, go check out the pics you will see that there are little sheds and the food is sold out of these sheds. We always ate at “Angels” and it was great.

GETTING AROUND THE ISLAND…..

While I love to dive….I also love to sight see.

We rented a small car with auto trans and AC. For the entire 10 days we were there it cost just over $400 US. Not bad and we put some miles on that little thing. They do rent open cars called ‘moots’ but I love my AC and the moots are a novelty so they actually cost much more.

It is British rules there….drive on the left. But, I had done a good bit of driving in the UK and Ireland so it was no biggie for me. I love the freedom of having my own wheels and getting out on to the back roads. There is a lot to see in Barbados.

There are two kinds of cabs available in Barbados. One is like a Volkswagen bus. It is white with a burgundy strip running from front to back. This is a cheap ride….less than $1 US. But don’t be surprised who or what you find on these cabs. I have gotten on one and there was a guy taking some animals to market. But they are cheap if $$$ is a concern.

We met a “regular”cab driver… Michael Gooding… and this guy was great. Even though I had rented a car, I knew there was going to be some drinking at night. I don’t mix drinking and driving so at night it was cab city for us. We met Michael and he would pick us up at whatever time we asked him to….and come back for us at whatever time we asked him. One night, we were having a ball at the Oistins fish fry dancing….and he showed up right on time. We asked if it would be a big deal for him to come back in a couple of hours. He said no problems and there he was when we were all danced out. So if you go to Barbados and need one dang dependable cab driver, give Michael a call at 246-235-5985.

BARBADOS MONEY…

Somehow the Barbados dollar is linked to the US dollar. So, whatever price you see on an item…divide by two and that will normally be the price in US dollars. You can use US dollars just about any place, but you will get your change back in Barbados dollars. Also, they never say something costs like 25 Barbados dollars…..they just say it costs $25 dollars. So it is often a good idea to have them distinguish what type currency they are talking…US or Barbados dollars.

RESTUARANTS AND BARS GALORE….

Food ain’t cheap in Barbados. One of our favorite restaurants was called OPA. And, yep, it was a Greek restaurant.

Bajun food is good as well and there are lots of local restaurants one can visit. But the prices are usually pretty pricey there too. Be aware a lot of Bajun food is spicy so if you don’t like spicy food let the waiter know up front and they will give you a “tourist” version.

MOJO’s was a great little bar across the street from our hotel. They had food as well as booze.

PIC LINK>>>>

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rdr5k/album?.dir=/cce6&.src=ph&.tok=phJ80pDB0vCYq5GE

Clik on this and enjoy some of the pics I took. Hope the review helped.

rich

I'll be at the Sea Foam myself in just over a month...a great place to stay on the South coast. Mojo's has yet to keep me awake!

By the way, it's "moke."

jbm

Yep you're right. Still feeling the effects of too much rum. Mojo's was no problem with noise. About the only noise was the highway as the "master" bedroom windows are on the road side but it never bothered me.

Thanks for the trip report Rich. I conclude that Barbados is a nice place to visit but not a dedicated dive destination?

richinnc,
thank you for your trip report.
barbados is on my list of dive vacations for next summer.
i need all the info i can get.
do you have any info on what they call the "gap"?
i'm looking for a place where we can stay on the ocean and walk to places where my wife can snorkel while i dive.
we are willing to take a cab for dinner.
thanks in advance.
regards,

The "gap" ... is St. Lawrence gap. It is a about a quarter mile strip of road with a lot of restuarants, bars and hotels. It can be very noisey at times so getting a place right on the gap might not be a good idea. You can walk to the gap from the hotel I stayed at. The only problem is they were tearing up the sidewalks while we were there so it added a challenge or two.

As far as snorkling goes....Folkstone park is the best place I feel. That is a def cab ride from the hotel.

Its a balance of what will you do most and where to stay to do that. She could easily get a cab (cheap one) to Folkstone but I dont know how she would feel about that.

Tim, I would say it is a dedicated dive place....lord knows they have a bunch of dive ops there.....but the current storms put a damper on the viz and upped the currents a bit. It doesnt compare to Bonaire on a good day but I like a place that has a good mix.

For anybody interested, Tobagoman and I and our wives are going to be in Barbados from 12/3-10... we'd love to get another SB couple to join us, so we can monopolize a boat!

Rich, thanks for the great trip report!

Rich - have been waiting to hear how you got on !- thanks for the great trip report - photo's were great - so am i right in saying that you were just a wee bit unlucky with the weather for diving? Is it normally better than that? I've only dived in Roatan and Belize and wondered what it was like compared to that? (my planned thanksgiving trip looks like it might be postponed - so hopefully i will end up benefitting from Richard and tobagomans experiences too!!!

Tim Ingersoll,
Barbados is great to visit but also great to dive. the best way to see it is to dive with operators on both the south and west coast. few operators do both. sites to see are the ss. stavronikita, carlisle bay, the muff and shark bank.

Folks, noise from Mojo's is no longer a problem as it has shut it's doors for good

Back
Top Bottom