Northern soul or "idiot's dream?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dea

Reaction score
I've been dreaming "polar" since before I was certified.
Does anyone else here suffers from that obsession?
Let's start a support group :)

I've collected some pics from the net and put them on one page, just to visualize the goal.

http://www.deeprapture.com/polardream/

Yea, I've always wanted to dive the Antartic and take pics like Norbert Wu...But give me a full face mask first...

It is much stronger than a wish to take cool photos. It is like a drive. (or an internal compass pulling north :) ) The love for the ice and snow and cold. fresh air and no civilazation... endless horizons. I feel at home in such places.

Divmr, how did you insert an image under the name?

I was already thinking of doing some polar diving, but if I wasn't convinced, those pictures on your website pushed me over the edge! Great stuff.

I guess it's going to be a VERY expensive endeavor as well. Probably worth it, but it may take me a long time to save up enough money!

otter-cat

Well, Dea,
As long's yer goin', how's abouts taking my list to Santy Clause:
a Poseiden Regulator
psychedelic jet-fins
a boat
a better computer
high-pressure steel tank
a good car to haul it all in
Thanks in advance!

We sometimes see ads for divers and boat handlers required at the Antartic scientific stations. Dea those photo's are really excellent thanks for sharing them.

It is my intention to start ice diving this winter. I've got everything except for the valve on my Argon system. A longer term goal is to dive in Northern Canada. By that point, I hope to skip the full face mask and go directly to a Kevlar helmet with multi-gas bailout block.

I've researched Antarctic diving and have found a couple of Former Soviet Union research vessels that now charter dive trips. I would think long and hard before chartering one of those ships; however, there must be something decent out there.

Y'all go right ahead...
Go forth to the land of ice & snow.
Take lots of pictures, write it all up.
I'll look on in wonder and delight, and tell you "You done real goooood!"
From the warmth of Lower Alabama. :) :) :)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom