Do Underwater Cities Exist???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I`m told that The Great Sacandaga Reservoir, in Upstate NY, has several small towns in it. According to the history of the dam there is also a steel and concrete bridge that is around 70 ft. I`ve also been told there are several covered bridges and a train engine. I`m trying to obtain info but haven`t found anyone who has dove there.

If you want to go in THAT water, littered with corpses, chemicals, poop, pee, fertilizer, and who knows what else..... Go for it!

DivingCRNA:
If you want to go in THAT water, littered with corpses, chemicals, poop, pee, fertilizer, and who knows what else..... Go for it!

Too true, sorry to say, even Lake Ponchartrain will be very toxic for a long time to come. However, I know for a fact at the bottom of that lake somewhere is a DC8 that Eastern Airlines lost in the early 60's. Due to wind shears and such, the aircraft lost both engines and went straight to the bottom, they have never found it to this day. Most feel it's well sunk inthe bottom silt. :11:

http://www.laketenkiller.com/scuba.asp

To make the lake even more intriguing, local history was buried in water from the formation of the lake. When the Illinois River was flooded, a town was left behind. Home sites are still accessible, where you might find some artifacts left behind by the settlers. Horseshoes, buggies, roads, houses, farm equipment, personal possessions that leave room for imagining about these past lives are all protected by state law, and may not be removed, but can certainly be admired and enjoyed. There is even an old jailhouse, wagon wheels, and rare artifacts such as Native American pottery, jewelry, and arrowheads.

jptrealty:
well are there ANY underwater citie that exist don to say 300'??? NOT 2-6 tructures that have fallen apart, but a complete town, Existing buildings and homes

I would like to dve through man street so to speak

i seem to remember a discovery chanel special on one YEARS ago.

The straight scoop would be nice

Thank You

diverjed:
Dale Hollow Lake in Tennessee is supposed to have some underwater structures as well, such as a schoolhouse, a church, some other remnants of an 'underwater city'.

Part of Dale Hollow is also in Albany, KY. It does have a lot of buildings, roads and bridges. Some are still standing and some have fallen over. Pretty much pick your depth and go for it. The deepest that I have seen on the map is 90 feet.

This is a big lake and sometimes there are other events going on at the same time. I really don't think that safety is an issue but it might be a good idea to take a diver down flag.

wedivebc:
Do you have any more info on that. I was asked to join a rebreather expedition there myself

Hi Dave

Sorry, but I wasn't paying too much attention since it was way too unlikely that I was going to be able to make that trip... Although one can always dream...

However you might like to contact Andy from Big Blue (Koh Samui) for more information, his mobile number's: +66 1932 6149.

If you're going to be in Phuket then call Joerg of Deep Blue. His mobile's +66 9866 2361.

These guys would probably be able to give you more info.

Cheers
Stef

DivingCRNA:
Here in SW Mo they say there are some flooded towns from making table rock, Beaver, and Bull Shoals lakes.

I want to dive them, but have been slow on getting around to it. I should try to do it this summer, because the lake levels are really down this year-like 15 or 20 feet.
I've dove Table Rock quite a bit over the years. As far as what I've seen, there is some homestead foundations, ancient indian campsites, quite a few wrecks here and there, a submerged bridge but as far as structures? I havent found any to date.

Absolutely. We have a submerged Ming Dynasty walled city, formerly home to 6000 people, about 5 hours west of Shanghai. Diving depth is 24-40 meters. Write to me directly at steven@sinoscuba.com for more information, or respond to me directly here.

crpntr133:
Part of Dale Hollow is also in Albany, KY. It does have a lot of buildings, roads and bridges. Some are still standing and some have fallen over. Pretty much pick your depth and go for it. The deepest that I have seen on the map is 90 feet.

This is a big lake and sometimes there are other events going on at the same time. I really don't think that safety is an issue but it might be a good idea to take a diver down flag.

Do the residents of KY even know what a Diver Down flag is?!? I'm not meaning to offend anyone but after living in KY, I'm not entirely convinced the fishermen of KY know what the diver down flag means.

Back
Top Bottom