Speargun Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
I have a right shoulder that for years has given me trouble, and frankly makes it difficult to load my Sea Hornet speargun at depth. Forget about getting both bands on. Can anyone recommend a speargun that is easier to load, especially at depth. I don't really care for the practice of descending with it ready to shoot, although most people probably do that.

Thanks.

Scott

Why would you want to take a speargun while on Scuba !!

Are you planning on killing fish that are there for our pleasure ?

I cant believe anyone would take a spear while on scuba what chance does a fish have ?

Here in Australia it is illegal to carry any sort of spear or speargun while you Scuba

It's the bands, and perhaps the technique you are using to load it.

Your best choice may be a Riffe midhandle, midsize gun, with a rest fin. Use a light shaft, and make your own bands from the heavy rubber, just lengthen them to the point you can just cock it to the rest fin, then shift the gun but to your chest and bring it from the rest fin to the back fin. repeat for the other bands. By suing a longer gun you'll be getting more "stretch length" in the bands so you can decrease the overall pull of each band and still be able to hit fish. The midhandle makes for a ore compact package that handles about like the "regular" guns do with the trigger under the shaft retainer, but two sizes smaller. You may also want to think of getting a "custom" gun that will take 4 bands.

Riffe and Ridell are the only two guns I know of that are both fairly readily available toploaders that will take a "fin" attachment without a slider, enableing use of the rest fin about 2/3 the way down the shaft.

Work on the loading technique first though. Load should be a single movement to rest or first notch, then shift to center of chest and finish the load.

FT

When I miss (often doo) I tuck the butt in the at my hip joint and single motion to pull individual bands into shaft. Might not work as well if your gun is more than 48" or so.

Back
Top Bottom