Underwater Speaker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4sdi

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone built an underwater speaker?

Thanks!

Mark

What kind of speaker? Headphone, or Regular Speaker... Yes there are both.

http://www.lubell.com/9484.html - Speaker

There are several UW MP3 Players available...1 for diving that goes pretty deep... Although I don't think I could listen to music UW except maybe for pink floyd.

Yea, Been thinking about placing a speaker down in the pool for pool sessions, Maybe a little Buffett?

I was wondering what makes an underwater speaker special? It' seems to me that a normal speaker wouldn't work underwater, what if it's in a housing of some sort?

That's a lot of dough to put out, just wonder what would be involed in making one?

Mark

You wouldn't be able to put a regular speaker in a housing... it would stop the vibrations from coming off of the speaker... in other words you wouldn't hear it...

A waterproof speaker is just made from waterproof materials.

I am sure there are other UW speakers... that was just the first one I found.

There's an outfit that makes some spiffy transducers that'll run "standard audio" frequencies, run about $30 & can handle about 10 watts. I'll try to find the name of the mfgr.
Otherwise there are waterproofed headphones available for the dive hats, easier to buy one than make it.

Sorry, don’t know about homebrew, but for a project where I work we used the DRS-100 Diver Recall System made by Ocean Technology Systems , and I see that they sell the transducers separately.

Just a thought....

If you put a normal speaker in a soft waterproof housing that would reverberate (sp)? would the sound wave / schock wave would transfer through the water? or If you place a long tube over the speaker face and seal it to the speaker box, you could submerge the other end of the tube under the surface of the pool water and see what happens. You might have to place a flexible diaphram over the pool end to make it work. It would have to be a large enought speaker to push the diaphram as the speaker face moves to create sould waves.

I don't know if that would work. Let me say that I was a concert sound engineer for about 15 years, but that doesn't make me an UW sound expert. What I will say about the normal speaker in a soft waterproof housing, is that the housing would most likely absorb most of the sound waves, probably making for more bass type sounds rather than any treble if at all. The UW speakers I have seen have the speaker cone or driver in direct contact with the water.

howarde:
I don't know if that would work. Let me say that I was a concert sound engineer for about 15 years, but that doesn't make me an UW sound expert. What I will say about the normal speaker in a soft waterproof housing, is that the housing would most likely absorb most of the sound waves, probably making for more bass type sounds rather than any treble if at all. The UW speakers I have seen have the speaker cone or driver in direct contact with the water.

Would you know how the speakers on those underwater MP3 players work?

If you look inside the headphones of the UW MP3 Players (at least the ones I have seen 3 different models) they are usually a small speaker membrane inside a plastic housing. They work by producing sound directly (the normal way) and they also use the bone contact in your head. Unless you are right up next to these, you can't hear them.
For example: When my wife uses hers in the pool, if I am more than 1 foot from the headphones, I can't hear them at all... If you listen to them above water, you pretty much only hear treble, but UW, you can hear good quality sound.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom