Recommendations on Greece diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TracyT24

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm heading to Greece in September to sail the Greek Islands and would LOVE to check out the diving there. If anyone could give me some recommendations I would love it! I will be hitting the following islands: Mykonos, Syros, Paros, Ios and Santorini.

1) Can anyone tell me what the quality of diving is like in Greece?
2) Any recommendations on good dive shops to use?

Thanks!! :D

In some areas totally illegal, in others very heavily controlled. In lots of areas where diving is legal wrecks arent legal, neither are dives below 30m, decompression dives or night dives.

Best to check if diving is legal where youre going first before looking around for dive schools.

Dont expect to be massively impressed though, very good visibility but very little fish life.

maybe im to late it last not my matter ,Dive where you wahnt all legea at all in greec only I.M.O. Habours and Militari zones are ilegal by IMO habors sta of a quater mile at all.Bring no antiques off !!!!!You can do spearfishing,but no fish biger then 30Cm or a half Kilogram(Thats is the regenemo no one will care as you shoot no dolphin)You will lose your income fffor the next 20 years then.Thats what i know ....Maybe some no else ,thing no garanti for that..

7*

TracyT24:
I'm heading to Greece in September to sail the Greek Islands and would LOVE to check out the diving there. If anyone could give me some recommendations I would love it! I will be hitting the following islands: Mykonos, Syros, Paros, Ios and Santorini.

2) Any recommendations on good dive shops to use?

Thanks!! :D

Eris Lucan7*:
,Dive where you wahnt all legea at all in greec only I.M.O. Habours and Militari zones are ilegal by IMO habors sta of a quater mile at all.

Unfortunately that isnt true. Some islands are off limits all together and those that do allow it are in secific areas only. Example on zakynthos there are only 3 areas around the island where diving is legal. Its still extremely tightly controlled by the government and policed by the coastguard.

I dived greek often there are no big rules about much t ,the greeks will defently arrest you fast when you dive in the ream of regist I.M.O.habor wail you will went into taxsecure and terror as smuggler protectet zone ,you also dive not in a Airport.no idea what you are talking about so ,next default you dive in to warmarine or else greek souveran area , also you can dive into naturepars as you touch nothing, i can not confirm you your spoken.

String:
Unfortunately that isnt true. Some islands are off limits all together and those that do allow it are in secific areas only. Example on zakynthos there are only 3 areas around the island where diving is legal. Its still extremely tightly controlled by the government and policed by the coastguard.

I went Island hopping through there a little over a year ago but didn't dive. I've done a little research since for a return visit. First thing to know is that diving on ancient antiquities is either forbidden or extremely restricted. They do not have the resources to police it properly to prevent further loss of their heritage so it is easier to forbid. If I were to do a dive vacation, I would go to Cyprus, Rhodes and Santorini (Thera). Moving around the country is not difficult for a tourist. Everyone is friendly and helpful. Meals are European (meaning not fast paced American). Haggling for goods is expected and should not offend. Mykonos is a spring break location of Europe. Expect a lively night scene such as you would find in Montreal. If you want relaxing instead of partying, skip Mykonos. Cyprus has WWII wrecks you can dive and a very large ferry that went down with around 200 lories aboard. This is considered a highlight dive in Greece. Rhodes is very rich with a mixture of historical eras on your surface interval. Water is the beautiful blue you expect. You could easily spend a week on the surface if you love history. Thera or Santorini is the most relaxing of the islands and I consider a highlight. I've been told (while there) that you can dive caves that line the caldera. You can either dive or take a submarine tour of the caldera itself. I'm not sure of the details yet, but you should find all you can. Thera is one the most beautiful of the islands we visited and I think you will remember it most if you are looking for beautiful and relaxing.

I believe Crete also has dive operators. It has wineries and Minoan ruins for those interested in the land based part.

If you want to dive ancient ruins, try Croatia. I’ve read some things about diving Roman ruins there. I posted a thread asking about ancient underwater sites months ago. There was some feedback there.

My old thread for ancient sites (nothing on Greece in this one):
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=90805

A google search on scuba and greece brought up lots of links. You should be able to research the islands you decide on. Just don't try to do too many. The bigger islands like Crete and Rhodes can easily keep you occupied on shore for days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom