Honest question about DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black is cool...err at least for now but I think colors will come back. I like to use yellow mares fins because they make it easier for my buddies to see me.

Although my buddies know which reg to go for, I switched out the yellow cover on my APEX TX40 octo for a black one just in case someone who did not know enough to ask for the reg in my mouth and on a long hose, decided to go for the one hanging around my neck. I figured if they are both black they will be even more likely to go for the one in my mouth.

~Marlinspike

Now I'm wondering why specific colors for gear aren't part of the DIR rules. If bright colors are safer, why not "mandate" their use (to the extent that any particular gear is "mandated")? And if they are more dangerous, why aren't they prohibited? Maybe I'm wrong about this, but my impression is that DIR requires very specific gear types, materials, configurations, etc., and is very thorough in its recommendations. In that light, it seems strange that no rules exist about color. (Someone please let me know if there are rules -- like I said, I don't know much about it.)

Roakey, so far your answer regarding night vision problems is the only safety-related reason I've heard for NOT wearing colors, but I'm not sure that I understand it. Although the part about being "blinded" by reflective tape when your light passes over it makes sense to me, I don't know how ordinary (i.e. not reflective) bright materials would cause night vision problems. Where there is little light, the bright colors should not be blindingly bright, but may still be slightly more visible than black gear. When your light is on it, I don't understand how it is different (again, assuming it is not reflective) than if your light hit anything else (such as a fish or other object) that appears brightly colored under white light.

Are DIR alternate second stages yellow, like they typically are in the recreational diving world? Why or why not?

Again, I'm asking because I'm curious, not to criticize, so I appreciate everyone's comments!
otter-cat

it seems strange that no rules exist about color. (Someone please let me know if there are rules -- like I said, I don't know much about it.)

I am not sure about this, but I don't remember reading anything about color mandates in the DIRF book.

Are DIR alternate second stages yellow, like they typically are in the recreational diving world? Why or why not?

No, they are whatever color they came from the manufacturer (in my case both black). Why? Because if my backup was yellow somebody might try to grab that in an OOA and find it tightly bungied to my neck. They wouldn't be able to get to it. In a proper DIR configuration, you donate your primary, which, IMHO, is even more obvious than a colored second stage...just take the one in my mouth. All my buddies dive the same configuration (except one - and we covered all that the first trip out) so we know ahead of time how air sharing emergencies work with each other's gear.

Donating the primary makes the most sense since 1) the regulator is obviously working or I would be OOA 2) the diver in need is assured to be receiving the right gas at depth since it is the one I am breathing from 3) I dive with a long hose so the OOA diver has plenty of extra hose to breathe comfortably and not worry about getting the reg ripped from his/her mouth if I suddenly move about in the water column 4) OOA divers grab for whatever they want and I would imagine that I would go for whatever I saw working...especially if I could not locate my buddy's octo if it was an air2, in a pocket, in a scumball, or dragging about on the wreck filled with rust flakes, silt, and fish poo. You practice donating the primary, then you drill having it yanked out of your mouth...really easy once you are used to going for your bungie backup.

Originally posted by roakey
Bright colors and reflective tape ruin your night vision which is important when cave diving or deep diving where there isn't much light available.

I know, I bought a DUI TLS350 with neon yellow accents and my buddies complain about it. Fortunately it's fading and looks like poo now, so it isn't so bad.

Roak

Unless it it glow in the dark a color shouldn't be impacting your night vision.

Here is a nice little excercise to prove my point-- get the brightest colored thing you have carry it into the bathroom (assume no windows) turn off the light and shine a flashlight around..... see no glowing spot so you cant distinguish things around it.

That said -- my stuff is black because black is timeless and I don't like feeling like my stuff is out of date :)

O-ring,
I too am going for the Andy's orange & black drysuit.

Originally posted by kwesler
BTW-Did you know why Model T Fords were all manufactured in black? The medium for black paint was originally the only one that dried fast enough for the assembly line!

Ken

It is also because the pigment they used in the paint was soot.

I too am going for the Andy's orange & black drysuit.

I couldn't decide between that and the red and black one. I think I am going to order it sometime in the next 2 months...when are you getting yours?

I've got an orange and black Andy's DS3.

That's exactly what I was thinking of getting...in the extreme nylon with the 140 undergarments. How do you like your suit? Any problems so far?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom