Socially Responsible Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbkk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Over in the "incidents" forum, there is a discussion about dive flags and boaters, with some stories of battles between fishermen and divers, etc.
(http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=100938)

I made the point that the key here was education of the boating and fishing community to respect the dive flag, regardless of local regulation. I suggested that we divers have a role to play in the education process, by going out of our way (and out of our comfort zone) to politely explain to fishermen and boaters why their action may be risking the life of a scuba diver.

Someone talked about one dive club that had placed large signs at boat ramps in their area to explain about dive flags and the rules that boaters should follow.

Which prompted me to start this thread about "socially responsible divers".

How much should we, as groups of divers or individuals, take it upon ourselves to increase the safety of our sport? What are some tangible actions or activities that we could do?

How much should diver training programs emphasize the socially responsible elements of scuba diving? For example, should we be teaching open water divers about marine life convservation?

What do others think?

Just two weeks ago I had this ahole drive within 25' of my boat. I had my large dive flag raised of course. I had a yelling exchange with this guy to make sure he understood he was breaking the law and jeaopardizing the safety of divers....grrr.

Too bad Harbor Masters would not hang out near known dive locations and give out tons of tickets to these weekend fisherman. Not to mention the number of times I have seen weekend fisherman tied to lobster buoys/line. I bet they would not make the mistake again if the lobsterman owner arrived while they were tied up.

--Matt

In my opinion we are responsible for our own safety. If that means educating boaters about the dive flag, choosing our dive buddies responsibly, or teaching marine preservation, so be it.

In the world today it seems like responsibility is a foriegn concept. If we don't take responsibility for ourselves and the preservation of the diving environment, we can be sure that no one else will.

It isn't an extraordinarily difficult concept either. When we see someone doing something dangerous or "bad" (boat too close to a dive flag, diver touching coral, ect.) just take a minute and explain things. Sure, not everyone is going to listen or care, but a lot of people will.

peterbkk:
Over in the "incidents" forum, there is a discussion about dive flags and boaters, with some stories of battles between fishermen and divers, etc.
(http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=100938)

I made the point that the key here was education of the boating and fishing community to respect the dive flag, regardless of local regulation. I suggested that we divers have a role to play in the education process, by going out of our way (and out of our comfort zone) to politely explain to fishermen and boaters why their action may be risking the life of a scuba diver.

Someone talked about one dive club that had placed large signs at boat ramps in their area to explain about dive flags and the rules that boaters should follow.

Which prompted me to start this thread about "socially responsible divers".

How much should we, as groups of divers or individuals, take it upon ourselves to increase the safety of our sport? What are some tangible actions or activities that we could do?

How much should diver training programs emphasize the socially responsible elements of scuba diving? For example, should we be teaching open water divers about marine life convservation?

What do others think?

Hey I love the idea about posting signs at boat ramps. You are absolutely right about making people aware of dive flags. Last month in Florida my son and his girlfriend rented Jet Skis. Well they knew where I would be doing a shore dive so they decided to come on over and talk to me. yeah you guessed it they used the 5 Dive flags that where out there as a Slolum course. I chewed there @sses, but honestly they had no idea what the flags were. I was part to blame and I believe that the people that rented out the jet skis have an obligation to explain a few laws also. Luckily no one got hurt. They now know that a red flag with a white diagonal stripe doesn't mean you are a Van Halen fan.

hmmm... interesting - while I don't disagree with what's posted here, I get the feeling that dive flags are being used by divers to give them the right (or precieved privilge) to dive anywhere the so choose - should not divers also be aware and excercise responsibility towards other users of the water by respecting them also?

just a thought

Aqua Buoy:
hmmm... interesting - while I don't disagree with what's posted here, I get the feeling that dive flags are being used by divers to give them the right (or precieved privilge) to dive anywhere the so choose - should not divers also be aware and excercise responsibility towards other users of the water by respecting them also?

just a thought

Agreed-- I just think that in many of these boating/fastmoving water craft, lives have been at risk!...Which is why the reaction is the way it is

I just got back from visiting Erie, PA. In Erie at the dock, there are numerous signs with the Diver Down flag, its meaning and the reasons to keep away from the flag.

I think you're right on the money.

Whenever there's conflict some-one has to be the first to be the patient "explainee". It's in our own interest to do so - after all we're the ones in the water.

That said I know of a dive operation in dubai who'd empty a fishermans nets and put in packets of fishfingers in stead - like a schoole of them

If you're going to jump down a boater's throat for cutting it close to a dive flag (and you should) you've gotta jump down the diver's throat who refuses to use a flag (although they can be a pain in the butt), or refuses to use it properly.

About fans distributing things evenly ...

I once had a plastic bag with a cucumber in it sewered by the spokes of my bicycle wheel.

They were sliced quite evenly and auto-distributed at 1 metre intervals.

Amazing feat. Time-saving too.

Santa

Back
Top Bottom