Hammerhead or Meghead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bruehlt:
You know - it would be nice if anyone had links the the MH info....
MH being Meghead? There is no such product.

Innerspace, much like the other two US manufacturers Steam Machines and Halcyon, don't post their manuals publicly.

There is some info on the Shearwater website, but it's on the Shearwater for KISS.

BigJetDriver69:

Sweet - thanks for the info guys....

I've been in and out of the scene for a while (although I've never dove one before). I read the book mastering rebreathers quite some time ago - and was immediately hooked!

I can see some things have changed the past few years - Ouroboros, wow! The new Meg - amazing! At one time I was attempting to write my own Basic code for a CCR controller utilizing a Basic Stamp - never really came to fruition however.

I really like the fact that there is also development going on in the CO2 problem area (ie - sensor development). I am worried however, that these units will become either A) too pricey for most people to afford, or B) too complicated to maintain - aka cis lunar.

A friend and I had sat down a few times discussing how we could design a rebreather that most people would be able to afford - nothing ever came of it - but I reminisce about those days, hoping some day to either come up with my own design, or being able to actually afford one of these beauts!

bruehlt:
... too pricey for most people to afford ...
Yeah, that's always a problem.
Big Buzz last year at DEMA, Dive Rite eCCR with deco and HUD for $5K (which is still considerably more than what "everyone" can afford) ... by the time that thing will hit the market it'll cost around seven and a half grand ... . :11:

caveseeker7:
In addition to BJD69's points, the HH has a completely different layout.
Setpoint Controller:
- APD: two wired together
- HH: one setpoint controller, one separate pO2 monitor
-- left setpoint and dive computer
-- right handset pO2 readout for all three cells

Batteries:
- APD: one compartment for both batteries in loop, depending on age unsealed at ambient pressure (and shared in Vision)
- HH: separate batteries sealed at 1 ata outside the loop inside each handset

Alarm:
- APD: buzzer, implodes around 180 msw flooding the loop
- HH: vibrating alarm (DIVA)

Cables:
- APD: wires at ambient pressure inside hoses (Classic, anyway)
- HH: sealed waterblock cables

Displays:
- APD: Either twin handsets, no HUD (Classic) or single handset and HUD (Vision)
- HH: Twin Handsets and HUD with DIVA

Deco Software:
- APD: Either not available (Classic) or optional (Vision)
- HH: Standard (nitrox, trimix used to be but may change with O2ptima deliveries)

Price:
- APD: Upgrade to Vision incl. deco around $4,000 ($4,500 with scrubber gauge)
- HH: $3,000

Original Head (and cannister if scrubber gauge is ordered):
- APD: wants it back (they add the rest in new parts and resell the CCR at a lower price)
- HH: you keep it and thus have a backup

Thanks for the info, when I get an extra few thousand, I will have to look into it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom