Latest on Cozumel and Hurricane Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
They are probably counting on that to deter anyone from trying to hold their feet to the fire.
It's too bad they aren't relying on their customer service instead. The only options I have been given are to cancel completely, or reschedule. Unfortunately they don't have a single seat open for all of August. But, they'll happily fly me somewhere else leaving out of a different city. I guess the folks at Funjet have never actually planned a vacation, or they'd know how unacceptable that is. Oh well, I guess we won't be going to Cozumel this year, and I'll know better than to ever use Funjet again.

Anyone actually been in the water since Emily?

I am heading down next Thursday and want to get any first hand reports of how stirred up the water is or how much damage the reef recieved.

Also if anyone has direct info about Aldora Divers as I will be diving with them.

Tried them this morning but the person who answer spoke no english and I speak no Spanish. The general jist was Diving 'yes', 'ok' 'si'. So...anyone beenin the water?

Kleppta

Christi:
Yes, we got hit pretty bad, but the clean-up has been amazing! The reefs and vis are fine!

Tourist areas are clean and have electricity with exception of the southern resoorts. Downtown, you almost cannot even tell there was a hurricane!

Please don't cancel your vacations! We need you to come back!

Kleppta:
Anyone actually been in the water since Emily?

I am heading down next Thursday and want to get any first hand reports of how stirred up the water is or how much damage the reef recieved.

Also if anyone has direct info about Aldora Divers as I will be diving with them.

Tried them this morning but the person who answer spoke no english and I speak no Spanish. The general jist was Diving 'yes', 'ok' 'si'. So...anyone beenin the water?

Kleppta

Christi has posted several accounts of staff dives she has done in the past couple of days. IIRC, she indicates that reef damage is minimal, and viz is climbing and already close to normal. I get the impression that most of the dive ops (other than the ones based at the southern resorts that got hammered) are up and running now.

DallasNewbie:
It's too bad they aren't relying on their customer service instead. The only options I have been given are to cancel completely, or reschedule. Unfortunately they don't have a single seat open for all of August. But, they'll happily fly me somewhere else leaving out of a different city. I guess the folks at Funjet have never actually planned a vacation, or they'd know how unacceptable that is. Oh well, I guess we won't be going to Cozumel this year, and I'll know better than to ever use Funjet again.

Well, they are cheap, and one usually has to expect some tradeoffs in the customer service end of things when you go with a budget outfit. Their pricing keeps their planes full; so what if they piss off the occasional customer? Making everyone happy is not part of their business model.

Jarrett:
Does anyone know how to absolutely verify that the ferry between Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel is running normally? Thanks.

Jarrett:

I can almost, to some degree, with a wide margin of error, guarantee the ferries are running. :wink:

Jarrett:
Hell, I'm going now! :)

Yes I know. With bells apparently. Your delightful anticipation has been so enjoyable. BTW you are on the late return flight with Vance and Mom as requested.

Funjet Vacations Policy For Hurricane Emily - Effective July 21, 2005 12:00pm CST
The local government, hotels and our customer care team are continuing to assess the situation and are providing us the most up-to-date information. We will continue to provide updates to this information as we receive further details.

COZUMEL
The island of Cozumel has experienced damage at the southern end of the island as a result of Hurricane Emily. Some hotels on the island are already open and ready to accept customers, while others will be opening soon. Funjet Vacations will not be operating charter/value flights into Cozumel through September 30, 2005. For flights operated by scheduled airlines please check directly with the air carrier for flight status updates.

The following hotels have experienced damage and are not accepting new passengers:

* Allegro Cozumel by Occidental expected to open TBD
* El Cozumeleno expected to open 7/22/05
* Fiesta Americana Cozumel Dive Resort expected to open 7/26/05
* Grand Cozumel by Occidental expected to open 7/31/05
* Iberostar Cozumel expected to open 11/1/05
* Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Golf and Beach Resort expected to open 7/23/05
* Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel Resort expected to open 7/25/05
* Reef Club Cozumel expected to open 9/2/05
* Sol Cabanas Del Caribe expected to open 7/23/05

So much for my Trip on August 12th........

cozdiver2001:
Funjet Vacations Policy For Hurricane Emily - Effective July 21, 2005 12:00pm CST
The local government, hotels and our customer care team are continuing to assess the situation and are providing us the most up-to-date information. We will continue to provide updates to this information as we receive further details.

COZUMEL
The island of Cozumel has experienced damage at the southern end of the island as a result of Hurricane Emily. Some hotels on the island are already open and ready to accept customers, while others will be opening soon. Funjet Vacations will not be operating charter/value flights into Cozumel through September 30, 2005. For flights operated by scheduled airlines please check directly with the air carrier for flight status updates.

The following hotels have experienced damage and are not accepting new passengers:

* Allegro Cozumel by Occidental expected to open TBD
* El Cozumeleno expected to open 7/22/05
* Fiesta Americana Cozumel Dive Resort expected to open 7/26/05
* Grand Cozumel by Occidental expected to open 7/31/05
* Iberostar Cozumel expected to open 11/1/05
* Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Golf and Beach Resort expected to open 7/23/05
* Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel Resort expected to open 7/25/05
* Reef Club Cozumel expected to open 9/2/05
* Sol Cabanas Del Caribe expected to open 7/23/05

So much for my Trip on August 12th........

Ask them about flights into Cancun.

Back
Top Bottom