What are you opinions on Pneumatic guns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good pneumatic has power and speed of reload over a good band gun.

No, a good pnuematic does not have more power than a good band gun. The old Scubapro guns (now Bandito) and the Riffe Metal Tech #1 are short range guns that aren't designed to shoot far or take down large fish. That's not an apples to apples comparison.

I think your opinion would be different if your current gun was a Riffe Metal Tech #3. This notion of comparing power of band guns to pneumatic gun would not even have occured to you if your current gun was a Riffe Metal Tech #5.

<For those of you who did not know...Riffe guns have a "0" to "5" size/power scale. "0" is the shortest and least powerful gun, and "5" is the longest and most powerful.>

Regarding reload time, I've seen people use a single 3/4" band instead of two or three 9/16" bands for quick reloads. I think this is how the a lot of commercial and competition guys set up their guns.

No problem. It's always interesting to hear folks opinions about dive gear. As usual, there are diverse (or maybe it should be "diver's") opinions depending on how the gun is used.

I would be interested in a band gun discussion. The big Warsaw story got me interested in free-shafting -- something I've never tried due to the cost of shafts. I still miss too many times for free-shafting, and every miss where I dive would most surely mean the need for a new shaft.

Pneumatic guns will whip a rubber band all day long. The same problem you have with bands you have with PG you have to be strong to load at max power.
I have used PG's for 20 years when they first came over as GSD imports I wore out three internals never had miss fire used them on ling Cod in Puget sound to 170 feet largest ling was 60Lb 49" and was at 140Ft salt water only has to be rinsed and lubed after dive no worn out bands to replace. The cyrnos are not a bad gun I like gsd's better Good luck finding them in the states my GSD Kit came with three interchangable barrels. Love it!

Wrangler:
Pneumatic guns will whip a rubber band all day long. The same problem you have with bands you have with PG you have to be strong to load at max power.
I have used PG's for 20 years when they first came over as GSD imports I wore out three internals never had miss fire used them on ling Cod in Puget sound to 170 feet largest ling was 60Lb 49" and was at 140Ft salt water only has to be rinsed and lubed after dive no worn out bands to replace. The cyrnos are not a bad gun I like gsd's better Good luck finding them in the states my GSD Kit came with three interchangable barrels. Love it!

What's GSD, and if you can't get them in the States, what's the next best PG available?

I think you have to have the correct tool for the job.

I love my Mares Pneu, great short range small to med fish gun. Been very reliable and I wouldn't hesitate to use it in the right circumstances. I would never put a reel on it.

I wouldn't shoot a big fish with it, unless I was going to say good bye to it.

I think both are good, have their place. Like all gear choices, you enjoy what you enjoy, who cares what everyone else thinks.

I have band guns too. They both compliment each other.

Florabama:
What's GSD, and if you can't get them in the States, what's the next best PG available?
Don't know if you can get them in the states any more the cyrino by mares is a fine gun as well. I have their large 110 with an auto reel has about 20 ft of line on it after you shoot the fish if it runs they are slowly drawn back to you there awsome. Of course for those that shoot fish over 5' and over 70lbs maybe they don't want them coming back. Here in Puget sound with 10 - 30 feet of vis I like it. I only can say what I personal have experenced. Breath hold divers may not like them but for multi shots and consistancy there great! Just my .03

ifukuda:
No, a good pnuematic does not have more power than a good band gun. The old Scubapro guns (now Bandito) and the Riffe Metal Tech #1 are short range guns that aren't designed to shoot far or take down large fish. That's not an apples to apples comparison.
ifukuda:
Your equipment is ideal for freediving in exotic diving we can only dream about. . . none of my 8 spearguns will compete in your style of diving. . . Your equipment won't work where we dive. The Underwater Society has championships that only council champions can compete. Each council sends the winners from hundreds that dive in local contests. There are thousands of freshwater scuba spearfishermen. The equipment that you like can't even be used in a Texas swamp, your gun is twice the length of the visibility. When the thousands of fresh water spearfishermen ask questions, it's because we have all had single band spearguns bounce off the side of a carp. Please give us some tolerance when we shoot grapes in a grape vineyard, while you shoot apples in your apple orchard.

There's no need to defend spearfishing local to your area, or the equipment that works for you. I don't know anything about shooting at carp in low viz. If pneumatics are good for this type of spearfishing, then that's what you should use. But, this thread isn't about you (or me).

Florabama (the creator of this thread) is in Pensacola Fl, and he's stated that he's looking to upgrade his AB Biller 42. We should be discussing the pro and cons of pneumatic guns for spearfishing in the Gulf. It's irrelevant if a Riffe Metal TECH 3/4/5 is too long for the conditions you dive in...this may not be the case for Florabama.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom