Mares Volo Power Open Heel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bikeflip22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, i just bought a pair of mares xl volo power fins, w/ a size 12 foot bootie, i took them out for the first time yesterday, and i noticed some stiffness in the blades, it felt like i had to work extra hard to push myself through the surface, as i was snorkeling. However, when i was swimming underwater i felt much better and felt somewhat faster than normal... (quite conufsed :11: )

I am coming from a pair of full foot bodyglove snap fins, which are no where near close to the quality of the volos...

do you think it may be my kick? or do the blades just need to break in?

Please, Anything relivent to this would be greatly appreciated...

-Paul

I have Volos (though, I may be switching to Quattros; Volos are a bit floppy to me), but you have to remember that there is a difference between scuba and snorkeling fins. Generally, fins made for scuba aren't the best choice for snorkeling and vice versa.

My wife used to use the Volos and during the time she used them she loved them. I doubt there is anything wrong with your fins, it's most likely that you just aren't used to them. They wont get more flexible over time.

Something to be said for taking those things for a test drive isn't it :)

so they WONT get any flexier? or do i just need to get use to it and get a better kick and have better form

bikeflip22:
so they WONT get any flexier? or do i just need to get use to it and get a better kick and have better form

about your form:

while snorkeling where your fins fully under the water...as opposed to slapping the surface?

I doubt the blade will "break in" and get more flexible.

bikeflip22:
slapping the surface

OK...it's a question of form then. Try to keep your fins from splashing by keeping them completely under the water. You'll get more power out of them and be more efficient. Just think "sharks" in order to remind you. The sound of your fins splashing in the water could attract sharks as it replicates the sound/vibration of a distressed animal (or at least, this could be argued).....

good luck....

They will get floppier after a while. At least mine did. After about 100 dives over 3 or 4 years, they feel like limp noodles. So I got Quattros and LOVE them!!!!!

goodknight411:
They will get floppier after a while. At least mine did. After about 100 dives over 3 or 4 years, they feel like limp noodles. So I got Quattros and LOVE them!!!!!

good to kno, i like floppy fins

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom