O2 Cell wiring on Inspiration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoProHonduras

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi,

The wire that attaches to O2 Cell 3 on my scrubber lid has broken.

Can I use any electrical wire to bridge the gap or should it be a specific kind? I'm currently in the process of trying to get a new wire with molex connector, plus lock, from SDS but would like to repair this immediatley.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated?

I'm also in need of another plastic housing for the handset electronics on my classic electronics, as the one I currently have has a crack, does anyone know where I may be able to get one of these?

Both problems are on different units or I'd be out diving this beautiful Saturday am in Honduras!!!!

Well, if I were to do a repair on my unit when I had Classic electronics, I would take a look at the existing wire, and if it were too short to repair, then I would obtain a similar gauge wire with a similar strand pattern, then make a soldered connection splice with a heat shrink tube over it as a temporary. Too heavy a wire and you may get resistance.

As to the handset housings, you will have to get one from either SDS or AP, but I would leave that repair up to them to tell you the truth. The on off switch lever is a weird design that makes it a royal pain to get the lever back on the pivot shaft.....

If you run several of these at your place you might want to try buying a spare head and handsets....you should be able to get a refurbished one of these either from SDS complete with Classic scrubber, or offer the $1600 SDS gives to those who trade it in for Vision electronics. I am sure people upgading would sell it to you for about that price. That way you have a spare while SDS is repairing anything....

Make sure you get new handset housings which I hear has a better hose interface to prevent cracking compared to the originals.

InspirationDave:
Well, if I were to do a repair on my unit when I had Classic electronics, I would take a look at the existing wire, and if it were too short to repair, then I would obtain a similar gauge wire with a similar strand pattern, then make a soldered connection splice with a heat shrink tube over it as a temporary. Too heavy a wire and you may get resistance.

As to the handset housings, you will have to get one from either SDS or AP, but I would leave that repair up to them to tell you the truth. The on off switch lever is a weird design that makes it a royal pain to get the lever back on the pivot shaft.....

If you run several of these at your place you might want to try buying a spare head and handsets....you should be able to get a refurbished one of these either from SDS complete with Classic scrubber, or offer the $1600 SDS gives to those who trade it in for Vision electronics. I am sure people upgading would sell it to you for about that price. That way you have a spare while SDS is repairing anything....

Make sure you get new handset housings which I hear has a better hose interface to prevent cracking compared to the originals.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice.

I will have an electrician do a temporary repair to the wire and try to obtain a permanet and original from SDS on Monday. Also I will see about getting a housing unit, I've already managed to remove and replace the lever shaft so don't mind too attempt to do it again.

I think I'll also soon upgrade to Vision electircs so I'll keep one of the classics as a spare.

Cheers,
Andy

I've had the wire problem several times, either a broken wire or the push-on clip broken. Wire of approximately the same gauge, soldered on and covered with liquid insulator, did the trick. If you are good at soldering you can solder the wire direct to the cell, which means no problems with connections until the cell fails. Then it's a quick unsolder & resolder. I've had a handset crack and I've had several of the slider switches disintegrate inside. For either I don't think there's any option but component replacement. You can rebuild the switches yourself but I'm not sure about the handset housings - mine were done by AP.

Andy,

Sounds like you guys might have Inspiration dil and 02 cylinders for traveling YBOD divers?

I have always wanted to go to Utila.....just need to find a traditional bungalow type accomodation on a private area that is semi-remote......I stayed at exclusive Turtle Island in Fiji where they filmed the Blue Lagoon Brooke Shields flick and have been spoiled by how unspoiled and uncommercialized it was.....

InspirationDave:
Andy,

Sounds like you guys might have Inspiration dil and 02 cylinders for traveling YBOD divers?

I have always wanted to go to Utila.....just need to find a traditional bungalow type accomodation on a private area that is semi-remote......I stayed at exclusive Turtle Island in Fiji where they filmed the Blue Lagoon Brooke Shields flick and have been spoiled by how unspoiled and uncommercialized it was.....

Dave,

For $100 per night I can get you your own small island with house, you'll just need to charter a boat for the week to move you around. I'm hoping in the future to have more tanks here for YBOD travellers, at the moment I have 2 sets tanks and SodaSorb for rental, also it won't be until the end of the year that I can get a booster system set up, for now we're just doing HP fills from the bottles.

Check out www.aboututila.com for more info on the island, I came here originally for a week and that was back in 98!!!

We got some awesome diving as well!!!

Regards,
Andy

peterbj7:
I've had the wire problem several times, either a broken wire or the push-on clip broken. Wire of approximately the same gauge, soldered on and covered with liquid insulator, did the trick. If you are good at soldering you can solder the wire direct to the cell, which means no problems with connections until the cell fails. Then it's a quick unsolder & resolder. I've had a handset crack and I've had several of the slider switches disintegrate inside. For either I don't think there's any option but component replacement. You can rebuild the switches yourself but I'm not sure about the handset housings - mine were done by AP.

Thanks Peter,

I'm gonna get on the soldering tomorrow so at least my BBOD is operational then I'll just contact Ed at SDS on Monday and see what can be done about the cracked handset on the YBOD.

Regards,
Andy

Half full 02 cylinders seem to last for 3 long dives anyway......some of those cays look pretty secluded, but I guess you wouldn't have staff, food, and other diving guests......that's half the fun....lol

A bit closer than Utila, in Belize, we have 30-odd Inspiration tanks and Sofnalime. Plus a Haskel booster to ensure complete fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom