July 3 Jupiter Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

augie

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Did the Sunday AM two-tank dive with Jupiter Dive Charters on July 3. I rode up from Melbourne with EdJewell, and also met up with Tractor Tom in Jupiter.

Check in is at Scuba Works dive shop in a shopping center. As I filled out the waiver (you only have to fill it out once for the entire calendar year) I was asked if I had a safety sausage ( I do).

All of the tanks and gear are loaded onto a bus then Captain Paul drove us all to the Blowing Rocks Marina. After everything was offloaded he parked the bus while we loaded the boat.

They normally do a 3-tank dive on Sundays aboard the temptation, and there was one no-show diver, so there was plenty of room to set up for the 11 divers, two DMs, one deckhand, and the captain.

Seas were as close to flat as they can be, and we did the first dive on Spadefish Point. The top of the reef was in the 65' range, the sand between 80' and 90' in most places. Vis was around 40' and according to my computer the water temp at depth was 78F, which was a little cooler than the 81F-82F I'd had in WPB the last couple of weekends. I got a little cool in my .5mm, but no big deal.

We saw a small nurse shark on top of the reef shortly after descending, then a small hawksbill turtle, a large green moray, some bold "out of season" bugs, several large jewfish hanging out together, then a loggerhead, a reef shark, and then a fairly large nurse shark.

The DM had hooked into a rock to wait for some of the stragglers, so almost half of the group had drifter far enough ahead that he was no longer in sight. No problem, when we were ready to surface, Captain Paul had the Temptation nearby and picked us up with dispatch.

After a 30 minute surface interval we were back in the water, this time at Lighthouse Point. The vis, just like at Spadefish Point, was fairly murky down to about 20' (and warmer there as well) but once we were below that it opened up to better than 60'.

We saw another couple of turtles here, and a nurse shark sleeping under a ledge. Depths were close to the same as the first site as was the temp.

All in all, two very nice dives. For some reason I'd never dove out of Jupiter before, but I certainly will again.

The boat isn't the fastest thing on the water, but is plenty comfortable, particularly since they limit it to 12 divers or less. Pretzels, cookies, sodas, and fresh water were available, and a fresh water shower hose with shampoo and conditioner.

Once we got back to the marina, we repeated the morning's process in reverse, and were bussed back to the dive shop where we had parked.

I'd certainly reccomend this operation to others, and as I said, plan to return and dive with them again - soon!

augie:
Did the Sunday AM two-tank dive with Jupiter Dive Charters on July 3. I rode up from Melbourne with EdJewell, and also met up with Tractor Tom in Jupiter.

Check in is at Scuba Works dive shop in a shopping center. As I filled out the waiver (you only have to fill it out once for the entire calendar year) I was asked if I had a safety sausage ( I do).

After a 30 minute surface interval we were back in the water,

I believe the normal recommended surface interval is ONE HOUR! Why were you rushed to get back into the water??

Geo / The Irishman

I was a bit surprised that we were back in the water so quickly.

Since we were on nitrox we still completed the second dive without pushing the no-deco limits, but it did seem like they were rushing things in order to facilitate getting the second trip of the day off in time.

I suspect that they may not be in as much of a hurry when they do the standard Sunday three-tank trip, but I don't know first hand.

FlIrishman:
I believe the normal recommended surface interval is ONE HOUR! Why were you rushed to get back into the water??

Geo / The Irishman

Recommended by who? Although it is common practice, there is nothing special about 1 hour. 1 hour is good, 2 hours is better, and for the Jupiter profiles on Nitrox, 30 minutes is very adequate.

JDCharters is a really good operation. I've enjoyed many fine trips out with them. If you are considering using them, don't confuse them with JDCenter. They are different operations. (Although JDCenter is good, too.)

...who haven't been diving much since January, had an HOUR on the surface. I checked my computer when we went back in the water for the second dive, and I had been up for about 53 minutes. Of course, I'M the Airhog in most groups that I dive with. I was also the only diver on the boat breathing regular air. Everyone else was running Nitrox, so their tables would have been a little bit different than mine.

Anyway, it as nice to get into the water again and meet one or two of the conch divers. In fact, Diver d'oh stopped me in the parking lot and introduced himself. He was supposed to be on the boat with us, but slept in instead and caught the afternoon dives.

Good diving with you Augie! Nice write up.

Tractor Tom

Who wants an hour SI :) Put me back in the water as soon as my bottom time at the expected dive profile is 45 minutes.

I'm so glad you guys had a good day for diving!!! I'm kicking myself for not joining, but, sometimes it just doesn't work out!! And, of course, next weekend is looking to be blown out by fallout from various storms............sigh.
Tom and Augie, can't wait to have a chance to dive with you guys! I'm glad Jupiter was up to snuff; I love diving up there; there are always tons of "big" stuff to see!

Krista,

I had a great time diving and was sorry that you couldn't meet with us. Maybe we can get over to Palm Beach pretty soon and see about some dives with you. I made sure to fill my tanks before I left Jupiter, so I'd like to do a couple beach dives next.

Keep me in mind if you have a Sunday off soon.

Tractor Tom

The dives were beautiful lots of big marine life and Warm water. My first trip on the Temptation and my last. I wouldn't recommend this boat to either novice or experienced divers. Bad Attitude on the part of the Bus Driver/Captain. Poor service from the crew towards all the passengers. Divemaster thumbed our 1st dive after 25 minutes@70ft. Everyone else got to stay down. Not sure what his problem was but didn't question his thumb. Overall Great dives just bad bus ride....

FlIrishman:

Geo / The Irishman

By whose standards? According to the PADI Air dive tables, the one hour minimum only applies for multiple dives (3 or more), and it is only a minimum if your pressure group is W or X.

Now, I do like a 1 hour SI.. but.. it's NOT required.

Tom/Augie,
Glad to hear you had a great dive. I ended up taking my little ones to Ft Pierce. We had a great dive there, too.

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom