• 75-100 ft

Votes: 71 32.1%
  • 100+ ft

Votes: 71 32.1%
  • How deep is the titanic again?

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... it is a fairly well known axiom of observation that the observer taints the observed by the act of observing at some level or another...

...and especially now that I have not only called attention to the fact that observation is happening but have openly invited all to participate in observing the psychological underpinnings of this thread...

I suspect that further posts will be largely shaped by that axiom... and it should be revealing to say the least... for the change in a phenomenon by interaction with the observer can be just as interesting as the phenomenon itself...

So what do you all think? :wink:

Things to remember ...
1) The number of ascents MUST equal the number of descents.
2) There will always be someone who has dived deeper for longer (dont make it a competition)
3) What is deep for you is not neccessarily deep for me and my training, so dont beat me up about it.
4) Dive as deep as you are trained and prepared for.

240 feet in metres is ... 75 metres? That takes planning and preparation and is very possible on air ... Ask anyone who has dived Elphinstone Arch or the Dahab Blue hole in the Red Sea.

Make sure you have all your gear with you though.

113 Posts and still going.

I've been reading what everyone has written.. This topic goes all over the place.

Lots of opinons.. I hope new divers are learning something from it all.

-Paul

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
... some have stated reasons for posting all have unstated reasons and underlying (usually unperceived) motivations.

A few IMO have real psychological issues that beg for professional help.

Perhaps some of you are aware of what is being revealed in this thread but my guess is that most of you are oblivious to the exposé.

You might want to re-read the thread and ask yourself, "Why did he/she post this?

Then ask yourself, "Would I dive with this person?"

Uncle Pug - you are a widely read and respected contributor to this Board. But I think that you may be a little guilty of generalising in your posting on this topic. Yes - there may be some who are boosting their egos in their posts. However, I have taken heart from the submissions of those, who like myself, just enjoy diving - whatever the depth - and don't see it as a competitive issue. There have been some really good discussions about the merits and rewards of diving at different depths. Let's not get too judgemental.

We all decide for ourselves with whom we'll dive. As a newbie - I'm probably more cautious than most right now. I think you'd love to read the article here. http://www.divernet.com/technique/0502buddies.htm

enjoy!

This keeps showing up as a new post so I'm going to post here just in hopes of breaking the loop.....

Hey UP,
as usual you have somethin' cooking here.
Good thread, I would not worry too much about people's motivation for posting, I sort 'em on the first couple of dives.

Btw - they are twins and the are gorgeous, born to dove, now all I need is a slob winder.

Oh yeah - long time no see - what have you and Shane been up to?

Dane

Originally posted by WetDane
Btw - they are twins and the are gorgeous, born to dove, now all I need is a slob winder.

Oh yeah - long time no see - what have you and Shane been up to?
Hey there yourself Dane... I thought you were dead... at least I had seen any post from you for a while...

We been diven man... but I was just thinking about you the otherday... and how you probably needed to go diven with me some since Shane was sick. :wink:

So are you trying to tell us your diving double 104s now?

yes siree, that is right, actually they have been around for a couple of months now, but I rarely ever see you guys down here.

Been diving almost daily for a while now, it's been good but it will end sooner or later, for now it looks like I'm running out of dive buddies...
Also getting ready to run those can lights with NiMH packs, very sleek and very sexy - might be needing some people to test a couple for me... ;-)

Are you coming down for anything anytime soon? Or do I have to get my driving fins on?

Cheers, good to hear from you.
Dane

Back
Top Bottom