anyone diving inspirations. feedback please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel298

Reaction score
im gettin into the tech. diving a bit more, and was just wondering what people thought of the insparation...
things they like, dont like. features.. ect.

I did a basic rebreather course at Dive Tech in Cayman a few weeks ago on the Inspiration, so my experience is pretty limited. First impressions are that the the unit is much bulkier than a single 80 but smaller and more manageable than a twin set. Diving a rebreather is totally different than using open circuit and it takes a number of dives before you become comfortable with both the breathing thing (which is different, but not alarming) and the fact that your buoyancy sucks as you do not exhale gas out of the loop like in open circuit. The fact that you are breathing 1.3 PO2 is a major bonus and allows longer no deco times compared to OC.

Impressions of the classic inspiration are that it works and works well. However after you have dived the Evolution with the new Vision Electronics you appreciate that there is actually a step up in Ergonomics and the ability to have a unit which is smaller and combines an integrated computer into the package. Very Cool and needs to be experienced before making any buying decision.

I have been diving an Inspiration for the past year and tech diving for the last four years. The Inspiration is capable but not set up for Tech diving.First I Changed the harness to OMS, because I already had one. Then with gas managment planning on a tech dive you arew looking at two 80s one slung on each side. First one full of a good bailout, second one a good deco gas.I have had mine to 275' on 10/50 with no worries. Switching from OC to CCR tech diving isn't difficult it is just totaly different what you have to think about when planning. Are you using you back gas for BCD/ Drysuit inflation, 2L wont last long at 200'.You can do it just do it slow at first and work your way down,like any other newbie cause thats what you are again.
Take care
Larry Brandridge

brandrl:
I have been diving an Inspiration for the past year and tech diving for the last four years. The Inspiration is capable but not set up for Tech diving.First I Changed the harness to OMS, because I already had one. Then with gas managment planning on a tech dive you arew looking at two 80s one slung on each side. First one full of a good bailout, second one a good deco gas.I have had mine to 275' on 10/50 with no worries. Switching from OC to CCR tech diving isn't difficult it is just totaly different what you have to think about when planning. Are you using you back gas for BCD/ Drysuit inflation, 2L wont last long at 200'.You can do it just do it slow at first and work your way down,like any other newbie cause thats what you are again.
Take care
Larry Brandridge

I wouldn't agree with you on the harness.. If its properly adjusted and the correct size for the diver it works well.. Unfortunately many divers have one thats either too small or usually too large.. Their harness is very functional...

I changed mine out just recently for an O-pack from oxycheq because I'm kinda in between on sizes on the standard harness.. In a DS the large fits me perfectly but is a little big when in a 3mm wetsuit, in that case a med harness fits me well.. The sizing on the o-pack is that it can cover me for both...

The placment of the drings on the insp harness is great for carrying the required stages, once you learn the positioning it works much better than a standard harness because the orings are sewn to the side and the bags sont get in the way like they do on a conventional harness..

I have carried more than 2 stages easily on the inspiration harness (I have done this to stage additional bailout bottles on very deep dives with small dive teams).. You can easily carry an 80 under each arm.. I usually use a 40 under each because most of the divers I dive with have good rmvs and we plan bailout as a team concept, the 80s are saved for the deeper stuff (>125m/400fsw) or small teams..

I probably average 70+ dives a year 60m-100m, how many dives deeper than that depends on what specific sites I dove that year.. Some years its just a handful...

The inspiration gives you alot of bailout options, but regardless how much OC experience you have you are starting from the beginning again.. Lots of bad habits to break, and a totally new thinking process.. The main difference is that limiting your dives is usually how much deco you are willing to do... On an Inspiration I have no problems doing 100m for 30 minutes on bottom (this is usually my graduation TMX dives for my CCR students) , I don't think I ever lasted that long at that depth on OC..

padiscubapro:
I wouldn't agree with you on the harness.. If its properly adjusted and the correct size for the diver it works well..
I'd go with that. There is a lot of momentum in tech circles toward the Hog rig but that solves different problems. If you 'snug in' an Inspiration harness it lays the counterlungs flat over your lungs and after three hours in the water if your chest aches it wasn't snug enough.

I've been diving the Inspiration since 2001 and it is now my choice of dive gear even last week at 5m on an Air-lift/finds recording course. It just dives and doesn't send me running back up the shop for a fill every 40mins and when the heavy lifting (scaffold poles) clear up day arrives I can pant on the loop and walk the wretched frame another few meters towards the lifting point while my buddies are watching the SPG plummet.

nigelvh:
I'd go with that. There is a lot of momentum in tech circles toward the Hog rig but that solves different problems. If you 'snug in' an Inspiration harness it lays the counterlungs flat over your lungs and after three hours in the water if your chest aches it wasn't snug enough.

I've been diving the Inspiration since 2001 and it is now my choice of dive gear even last week at 5m on an Air-lift/finds recording course. It just dives and doesn't send me running back up the shop for a fill every 40mins and when the heavy lifting (scaffold poles) clear up day arrives I can pant on the loop and walk the wretched frame another few meters towards the lifting point while my buddies are watching the SPG plummet.

Yup, on long dives your lungs get a work out if the counterlungs are not tight and positiioned correctly..for "short" dives (less than 2 hours) placement becomes less of an issue on the inspiration...

I have had more than one diver (during my trimix programs) abandon a hog harness because,working with stages was much more difficult for them than divers using the standard harness and they usually complained about "chest pain" on long dives.. also when I make them get in and out of their rig on the bottom complete with multiple bailout bottles they have lots of problems..

I respect your opinions as that is what you like best,but. I find the front d rings way to low to be carrying 80's inside a wreck. I stapped my counter lungs to the d rings on the shoulder straps so as soon as you tighten your rig the counter lungs are pulled tight to your chest, never had a problem with wob even if the chest stap breaks free. What I would like to ask you is now that you have slung your two bailout bottles (bottom mix and deco) where do you hang your light, reels, liftbag, cutting tools, no pockets on the Inspiration,and are you still wearing a weight belt no integrated weights either. I don't hate the Inspiration harness I just don't think that it is practical (not that you can't use it) for tech diving even if you put a crotch strap on it
Larry Brandridge

I just started training on the inspo a couple of weeks ago. (need a couple more dives for cert) and I have been diving a CCR converted dolphin for about a year. A SCR dolphin for a year before that so when I first used the inspo I was impressed with the lower work of breathing and the loop recovery modes not available on the dolphin. I had converted my dolphin to a backplate harness setup but after diving the inspo I decided to change my setup to a transpac II for more freedom of movement. First dive yestarday on that rig and I don't have red marks on my shoulders.
Anyway I will be buying an inspiration as soon as funds are available. I have been diving OC tech for about 5 years and now I want a breather capable to do the dives I do on OC. As it stands I just use my current rig for rec type dives.
I suggest you post this question on www.rebreatherworld.com I would be interested in following the responses their from lots of inspiration divers that don't visit this forum.

Diesel298:
im gettin into the tech. diving a bit more, and was just wondering what people thought of the insparation...
things they like, dont like. features.. ect.

I was at Divetech's, Innerspace event in late May 2005 and had the chase to tryout 6 different CCR. For Tech diving I liked the new electronics for the Evolution and the Meg CCR. That was a great event to attend if you are not sure in what CCR you want. I also really liked the new Kiss unit, but not really setup for deep dives greater than 240'. But if you have the money the Ouroboros was the unit, especially after you tried it out. Three were purchased at the event.

I am real happy with my Inspiration. I have the Vision electronics on their way with trimix enabled /controller/computer, HUD and scrubber monitor.

My unit has been extremly stable and reliable.....you do need the store the handsets upright so moisture does not travel down the hoses and get into the handsets.

The wrist unit solves that issue.

Back
Top Bottom