Diving Sri-Lanka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liquid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Lookiong for advice on good locations, and good dive centers in Sri-Lanka. I'm going to be there probobly at september. I will apreciate any kind of advice, since I practicaly know nothing on the place.

Once dove with a guy who had just come from there (Southern, where the main diving centers are), and he thought it was the best place he had ever dove. $6US for a boat dive. You may want to check Lonely Planet/thorntree out.

Thx.

I'm checking it on the web. Seems reall nice. I still got some months before I go. Any info is welcome.

Mattie, why is it any more "sketchy" for a Israeli passport holder to go to Sri Lanka than someone holding another passport? The problems there are between the majority Sinhalese (Buddhist) and minority Tamils (Hindu), as far as I know neither of these groups have any gripes with Israel.

1978... and I'm sure things have changed - but if memory serves, there were some very nice sites just north of Trincomalee - on the northeast coast. In those days there was zero in the way of support in the area - don't know if that's changed. But if you can get up there with some gear I think it'd be worth a look.
Rick

I'm gone get there with gear awright!!!

mattiedread: Actualy, Israel along with the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and west Europe are about the only one who don't even need a visa. Guess we sold them some weps in the 50's/60's/70's (We used to sell to third world countries quite a lot. Today they usualy can't afford our prices... ).

I was in Sri Lanka in 2001. FYI, you should try diving at the southern points at places like Hikkaduwa and below. Diving season is NOT september, go in OCT. Visi is about 10-12m when I was there. Diving is cheaper than neighbour maladives but not as cheap as $6US per boat dive. Either that or I got ripped. But honestly I wasn't impressed. Food was good but otherwise I got tired being pestered to buy drugs, women...coins and ****e like that.

I thought, espcially given geographical location, the dispute was Hindu/Muslim. My mistake. I have heard travel advisories from people but only one very serious (gunfight w/commandos in a hotel in Columbo).

I'd love to go to the Maldives and do a a few days in Sri Lanka... while I'm dreaming... towards the end of a six month stint Nepal->India-Sri Lanka->Maldives (two weeks, liveaboard)->Seychelles->Mozambique.... All I need is the winning lottery numbers... I don't know why I visit the travel section of this board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom