What strange things have you found ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DI_Guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What strange things have you found while diving. ( excluding items around wrecks that must remain untouched )

Last night at Brockville, one diver in our group found a gun. Its was a 32 caliber pistol that someone has tossed into the water. Police were contacted and it was turned over to them.

I have found the usual bottles ( nothing antique ) and not much else.

Any comments ?

DI_Guy

Diver0001:
The last time I went wreck diving we found a full bottle of wine. That's a first for me.

R..

Was it a vintage wine, and what year and was it still drinkable ?

DI_Guy:
Was it a vintage wine, and what year and was it still drinkable ?

I think the wreck has been on the bottom for about 10 years. I guess the wine must have been that old too. The label was gone. My buddy (whose snatch reflex is better than mine) was the one who picked it up. He refused to open it. :(

R..

I've found lawn chairs, boat hooks, bicyles, toilets, stoves, jar of pickles inside the fridge of a sunken criscraft.

Years ago (1996?) someone organised a Brockville underwater cleanup. One of the guys diving near me off Blockhouse island) found a cash box with several hundred dollars in it and a receipt book from the Brockville Diabetes association. The diver turned it over to the police and it was returned to the diabetes association. It turned out they had been robbed a few days before.

Of course I have found dive gear (lights, knives, reels, mesh bags, weights, weightbelts) all over the place.

I also once met a guy who claimed to have found 12 bottles of 1928 scotch @190 feet under the Gananoque bridge. He had an old whiskey bottle with a still intact wax seal so it might have been true.

wallet with family photos, licence etc....kind of eerie

rifle found by a friend on a canal clean up dive

Starfish:

The wallet with the photos ??? Was is relatively current or did it date back in time. It would so interesting to contact the owner especially if it was from decades ago.

DI_Guy

Old chain saw from maybe1940"s on the bottom of Lake Simcoe.Someone cutting the ice for ice fishing probably dropped it thru.

We like to spend a lot of time in the Chippewa River. Rather than moving along with the current, we scrounge the banks and bottom of the river, hanging onto rocks as we move slowly along.
Wallets, purses, credit cards and drivers licences are common finds. Many of them belong to foreigners of various overseas countries. There's a hotel near by that has a lot of items stolen from guest's rooms.... and they end up in the river (sans money).
But speaking of money, we regularly find coins of all types under the bridge near Tim Horton's. Some of them date back to the early 1900's. Sometimes we spend an hour just scrounging under the bridge.... cell phones, jewellery, fishing gear, bicycles, newspaper boxes, old cars and assorted other junk are also regular finds.
But the best find so far is a George II bronze half penny which was minted between 1723 and 1754. It's not in great shape or very valuable, but it's a great conversation piece. This was sitting perfectly on top of some fine gravel just off the bank of the river (10' ffw). My buddy had an equalization issue so I stopped and waited and there it was. It was several weeks later that I was able to identify it as it was crusted up pretty good.
We also find old clay pipe stems and pieces on just about every dive. They're community pipes which were available at the hotels in the area. When the guests finished smoking them, they obviously just tossed them into the river.
Lots of old china pieces in the area as well.
Old bottles are also a regular find. Some are valuable (but not to me), some are just junk.
Since they reversed the flow of the river back in 19??, every year, another layer of silt is stripped away from the bottom, revealing new treasures from years gone by.

The Mighty Chipp is one of my favourite dives. Anyone that's interested in joining us in a scrounge can drop me and email.

Back
Top Bottom