Trip Report Sechelt to Powell River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimisurf

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so the trip to Port Hardy was abandoned but the replacement trip was outstanding!!

Here's the quick rundown:

Dive 1 & 2 - Egmont Harbour shore dive. Dove to the right of the Back Eddy pub (leaning tree). This dive was OK. The rock colour (mostly red) was beutiful and there was a good assortment of life (especially near the marina). Bull kelp swayed in the sunlight providing nice swim-throughs on the way in and out. Depth max 70'.

Dive 3 & 4 - Powell River Boat Dives. First dive was just off the northern tip of Texada Island at Cyril Rock. There was a 2 knot surface current that died at about 20 feet or so (then reversed to a 1 knot at depth). Lots of caverns to swim through on this dive with great visibility and tons of sea life this dive was a blast!! Depth 70'. Our second dive was on the Malahat a wreck that has completly collapsed. There was a huge amount of life on this wreck. We looked for Wolf Eels, but did not find any, I think they were out hunting. Depth max 80'.

Dive 5 - The Mermaid at Saltry Bay - Shore Dive. Yup, had to dive the mermaid and it was pretty cool. The park is very convienent and very beutiful for a pre-dive snack next to the water. Thw mermaid stands 9 feet tall in 50 or so feet of water. She looks really cool with the sun shining through the water. It appears that some divers found it important to keep her chest region free of barnacles:-0 How thoughtful. After giving the girl a high five, we dropped over the wall and checked out some cloud sponges at 110'. This spot was very easy and relaxing. Depth max 110'.

Dive 6 - Coopers Green night dive. Made the rounds at Coopers green at night. Came accross a small Octopus at about 50'. Lots of fish and crabs at this spot. A very easy shore dive. Depth max 65'.

Dive 7 - Tuwanek Point shore dive. Last dive of the trip and it was awesome!! This site is like an aquarium. The highlight was a (I kid you not) 6 foot in span "Big Skate". This guy took off from the bottom as we approached 65' on the south south east side of the island. He was huge and took us completly by surprise. If that wasn't enough we saw 2 blubber jellies (spooky), a wolf eel and thousands upon thousands fish, crabs, etc.. This site rocks!! Depth max 75'.

Well, that's a quick look at our long weekend. BC really does have some of the best diving!!

I hope that you all have some good dives too. So, dive safe and post a report to let us know the hot spots are:)

Jimi

who did you boat dive with @ powell river???I am going up there in July. Any help I
can get would be great. Hopefully I can get some crab and shimp while I am up there
--------archer-------

I am very, very happy to hear this. Leaving on Friday for a diving "tour" of the sunshine coast and the comox -> nanimo region of Vancouver island. It's always nice to hear the conditions are good before you head out...

Thanx

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom