Are you aware of how much you flap around?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I noticed something the other day that I want to share just to get people to watch it for themselves.

I was diving with a couple of students after they finished their rescue day (just burning off the air we had left). They were diving together and I was just following them around and feeling a bit bored so I started counting their fin strokes to mine.

I've seen people flap and fin a lot before and these divers weren't unusual at all but even though I had heavier equipement on than they did and I was wearing a drysuit while they were wet the diver I was counting did a whopping 17 fin strokes to every 4 of mine.

I've never counted this before but the difference was really remarkable. What wasn't so remarkable is that I did the whole dive on 450 litres of air while the other two needed 1100 and 900 resprectively for the same dive (based on checking pressure before and after we finished).

Don't take this as bragging, take it as an observation and as a challenge. Watch your buddy, watch yourself and concentrate on moving the same distance with fewer (more efficient) fin strokes. Also, make sure you take full advantage of kick-and-glide and hovering to reduce the amount of flapping around you need to keep your trim.

R..

My last dive I watched my dive buddy flap and kick exsessively. I had to surface with 1600 psi (started with 2400) because he ran out of air.

interesting observations....I'll keep my eyes peeled and my counter counting just to see....

also compare your fins....your fins might imbue more power with less work than theirs...this experiment has many variables...

Many variables, but essentially the faster you push something through a viscous fluid and more force required to change momentum (ie up to down) the more energy you will use - so kicking less will save energy at the cost of speed, its up to you what that balance should be.

As for how much am i aware of flapping about? Very much so! I am trying to do less movement when not kicking.

interesting thread - i'm newly certified and went diving last weekend with a friend who is a more experienced diver and noticed that i did flap around more and used a lot more air that she did

any advice on how to slow down would be appreciated

meloknee:
interesting thread - i'm newly certified and went diving last weekend with a friend who is a more experienced diver and noticed that i did flap around more and used a lot more air that she did

any advice on how to slow down would be appreciated

You have the key right there: slow down. When I dive I'm not constantly finning. It's more like kick, glide....... kick, glide.... With a nice relaxed breathing pattern to go with it.

:thumb:

lamont:
watch how fish move...

I don't know about you, but wiggling my butt that way doesn't work u/w. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom