Cert diver never took a course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when I got my ow in august the instructor gave me a dvd to watch and told me to read the book and answer the knowledge reviews in back of the chapters then when we got there he went over the wrong answers and then we took the test and hit the water I don't see anything wrong with this way as long as you take and pass the test.

lsudive:
If I didn't feel like I had a stronger background as a result of taking the class, I'd be P O'd that I had to sit through it!
sharpenu:
ISince I just don't have the time or inclination to sit through long classes, I don't take classes any more. Other than card collecting, I don't see the point.

For me, give me a class. A long class, where I can pull out of the instructor every tid-bit of knowledge they have. I want to sit through it, and learn. I have the inclanation, to make the time to gain as much knowledge as I can to become a better diver. Even if I already know 80% of what's being taught from pre-study, the 20% I learn might make a big difference in my diving skills. I want to ask questions and argue and give what-ifs. When I set my money down, I'll take as much as I can get from it.

And after that, I really don't care about the card. I care what I know.

The last class I took was the PADI rescue class. I scored 100% on the test. So what. I have the card. Who cares. The only thing that matters is if I am able to apply the skills should they ever become necessary.

If it's you that needs rescuing, you'll be glad I spent every second I could at the class. I guess, IMNSHO, that is the point.

When I first certified 20 years ago (at age 14), I couldn't wait to go to class. I loved watching the video, asking the instructor questions and spending time in the water. Personally, if they make it home study that's fine I don't really care. I think what really makes a difference is pool practice. Things should be reviewed and re-reviewed until skills become second nature, and then when they get to the open water, the instructor shouldn't have to teach anything. Unfortunately, I think what we get today is McCerts.

Head shaking...

I'm glad that even my rescue diver instructor required me to sit with her last year for an entire day to go over the material in a "class" (one-on-one). Even though she felt I was a better diver than she was (I think that is the way she put it), I'm glad she didn't just sign off on the requirements without the class session and in-water skills.

Dr. Bill

Personally, I'd love to be able to have the students do the OW course independently, let me give the a overview of the highlights, work on problem areas with them, then get them in the water for extra water time instead of lecturing so much. On the other hand some students just need the lecturing. Seems like that is the only way they can learn.

I think that PADI and NAUI should be applauded for embracing contemporary educational techniques. Between diving and my profession, I've taken many, many hours of instruction in both traditional classroom settings as well as via DVD, Computer-assisted instruction, Web Lectures and video conferencing, etc. I feel that the bottom line here is to let the student choose a learning method that meets his or her needs with regard to instructor input, time and travel constraints, money, etc.

That being said, I'm glad that I had lots of hand's-on instruction in my Rescue course, which I think lends itself to a more interactive approach, (versus the DM course, which I did primarily through independent study.)

I like having choices, and leaving the final choice as to whether to certify a student up to the certifying instructor. As long as both student and instructor allow for correction of problems and some remedial review, this approach seems to be a win-win situation for the student and instructor (and, for that matter, the LDS.)

Just a thought or two...
-Grier

MB:
Not correct. NAUI has and requires a written test for the Advanced Scuba Diver course.

NAUI does not have a test for AOW. They test for OW and Master Diver, but not for advanced. I just went through it--no test.

GrierHPharmD:
I think that PADI and NAUI should be applauded for embracing contemporary educational techniques. Between diving and my profession, I've taken many, many hours of instruction in both traditional classroom settings as well as via DVD, Computer-assisted instruction, Web Lectures and video conferencing, etc. I feel that the bottom line here is to let the student choose a learning method that meets his or her needs with regard to instructor input, time and travel constraints, money, etc.

That being said, I'm glad that I had lots of hand's-on instruction in my Rescue course, which I think lends itself to a more interactive approach, (versus the DM course, which I did primarily through independent study.)

I like having choices, and leaving the final choice as to whether to certify a student up to the certifying instructor. As long as both student and instructor allow for correction of problems and some remedial review, this approach seems to be a win-win situation for the student and instructor (and, for that matter, the LDS.)...
Grier,

I certainly agree that people learn differently, and that different techniques can be used to effectively teach diving.

The difficulty I have with "embracing contemporary educational techniques" is that, IMHO, it leads to divers being familiar with an increasingly smaller and smaller minimum level of knowledge and ability. I suspect that an Open Water Diver certified in 1985 by either PADI or NAUI was exposed to significantly more material than an Open Water Diver certified in 2005 with a video you watch at home.

Was all of it necessary? I don't know - hundreds of divers do primarily "lead-me" dives at resorts each year. For them it might not be necessary.

But anyone who has been out on charter boats recently can attest to the utter bozonity that takes place on them on a regular basis. I suspect there may be a connection between the severely truncated curriculums offered by these 'contemporary educational techniques' and the number of inadequately prepared divers who may be found anywhere one looks at nearly any dive destination.

I'm not saying they don't work for some people for some purposes. But I suspect that they are partly responsible for a general degradation in the skill level demonstrated by many currently certified 'open water' divers. A diver who has spent 4 hours with an instructor is not going to cover as much material as a diver who spends 12 or 14 hours with an instructor. Over time, that difference is going to show up somewhere. I think you can find it on the boats.

JMHO. YMMV.

rtkane:
NAUI does not have a test for AOW. They test for OW and Master Diver, but not for advanced. I just went through it--no test.

Uh... Yes they do. Because your instructor didn't give it to you does not mean it is does not exist or is not required. If you want to tell your instructor to contact me, I'll be more than happy to forward him the Advanced Exam - or tell him where it is on the CD that comes with his Instructor Advanced Manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom