Beginner seeking good wreck dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

warrenbuffet

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just got my padi ow certificate and am looking for a good wreck dive that's within the limit of a OW diver (40ft) Could anyone recommend a few places to dive, especially on the east coast of United States because i live in massachusetts at the moment.

warrenbuffet:
Hi guys, I just got my padi ow certificate and am looking for a good wreck dive that's within the limit of a OW diver (40ft) Could anyone recommend a few places to dive, especially on the east coast of United States because i live in massachusetts at the moment.

http://www.njscuba.net/sites/index.html

try that link - it's a great site detailing local wrecks in that particular area. actually, the entire site is loaded with good information. hope that helps.

edit: of course it goes without saying that you read the sticky above, and that with a basic OW cert., you have no plans of penetrating any wrecks anytime soon. (forgot to mention that earlier, but i'm assuming you already know that). having said that, the above link is a wealth of knowledge.

thanks a lot man. this would definetly come in handy. I wish the web page has more pictures though hehe

what are some good places near massachusetts for beginners with only an OW certificate

If you are ever in NC we have the Liberty Ship out of Wilmington. With the shallow depth (45 ft max I believe) the viz can get pretty poor. Word of mouth around town is that the wreck did see 40 ft. hor. with 40 ft. vert. viz one time. I do repeat one time. On average you can expect 15 ft. of viz which isn't that bad. Its a good dive if you've never been on a wreck dive and want to get hooked into buying gear and more gear to dive deeper and see other wrecks of course. But as others have said stick to the outside of any wreck you see. Even if you think you can just "swim through" most wrecks have been down for a while and we all know how good salt water is at oxidizing steel. I don't want to read about a yank (and I use that in the best of way) getting pinned in a wreck cause something fell on him :)

Breath Easy

you won't find any wrecks off jersey at that depth. also you won't get on a boat with out at least aow and a redundant air supply.

i know there are alot of wrecks in RI waters, and a few good ones in mass, but the "good ones" are at about 100 feet on average..
a friend of mine just recently got certified, and wants to see some wrecks as well. so weve basically been logging him some bottom time, getting him some experence or a half dozen more dives, and then get his advanced going...
we used "high pines" last week..
was a decent site (not a wreck tho just a natural "ledge) but there you can pich a depth line you wanna work, as shalow as 30 and i saw as deep as 70 so it makes a good get experence as a OW diver site.
what part of mass do you live?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom