Looking For Spearfishing Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missouri

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm brand new to this site. I live in the state of Missouri and have been open water certified for 7 years now, have only logged 15 dives though - don't get to the ocean as often as I'd like. To increase my diving opportunities I'm planning to do some lake dives in Missouri and Arkansas this summer. Arkansas has some fairly liberal spearfishing limits on big catfish, striped bass and non-game species. I'd like to give that a try. I'm an experienced hunter and fisherman, but have never even held a speargun. I have no idea what would be a good speargun to buy. Catfish in the 40 lb range should be fairly common and striped bass in the teens and twenties. I want a good relialbe gun, any advice?

:thumb::drummer: I wanted to give you a warm welcome to Scuba Board. You came to the right place to meet other divers and find answers for things you are looking for. If you have any questions please let me know and (you can PM me also) I will try and point you in the right direction. and Safe Diving. Matt. :dazzler1:

:balloon
Click here to greet a new member!

No experience needed and it feels great!

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

check out the forums in my sigline. we have some southeast US folks on there.

Missouri:
Hello,

I'm brand new to this site. I live in the state of Missouri and have been open water certified for 7 years now, have only logged 15 dives though - don't get to the ocean as often as I'd like. To increase my diving opportunities I'm planning to do some lake dives in Missouri and Arkansas this summer. Arkansas has some fairly liberal spearfishing limits on big catfish, striped bass and non-game species. I'd like to give that a try. I'm an experienced hunter and fisherman, but have never even held a speargun. I have no idea what would be a good speargun to buy. Catfish in the 40 lb range should be fairly common and striped bass in the teens and twenties. I want a good relialbe gun, any advice?

Hello and welcome. I'm from Ohio originally, a long time ago, and what I remember about the lakes and ponds there is that the vis isn't very good. Given this factor, I would guess you would need a very short gun, like a pneumatic, almost pistol type. If you use a longer, open water gun (4-6 feet long) you probably won't be able to see past the tip of your spear or a fish from four feet away. I'm not sure of a good brand of those because most everyone I know hunts in clear water and use the long, banded types. Hank

take a peak at the JBL NW .38 Special. worked well for me shooting catfish etc in Quebec. it;s what I take for deep dark burbot spearing in the lakes these days.

Missouri:
Hello,

www.spearboard.com is also a good place for info on hunting...

Welcome!

Somewhat short but powerful and durable guns would be the ticket for those big fish.

I broke a short rail gun during a tournament with poor visibilty, because it wasn't beefy enough.

The JBL 38 or Biller 36 might be good choices for lower priced guns.

Daryl Wong made a custom hybrid for a friend of mine to use in the Rhode Island Nationals, an awesome gun. See www.wongspearguns.com

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom