water up nose problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm having problems breathing through my regulator without my mask on. Such as when replacing a mask at depth. When I breath out my nose and then try to take a breath from the regulator I keep accidently breathing throught my nose. Does anyone have any tricks to over come this.

Thanks,
Steve

Try breathing with more inward force when you inhale. This will help to keep the nose closed and keeps water from entering.

When you did your open water certification you should have had to swim with your snorkel and no mask. I had to. This is a good exercise to practice this technique. If you don't breath in forcefully enough through your snorkel you will have big problems with water getting up your nose.

I don't remember the distance we had to do this but it will definately teach you how to avoid most of your nose problems. It may take a little practice but if you stick to it it will pay off for you.

Hey there, When I did my cert. We had a lady with this problem aswell. The instructor simply said, Hold your nose. If thats what it takes to get the job done then so be it. The point of the exercise is incase of an emergency. In an emergency all that matters is getting through it safe and breathing. He did have her practice using her snorkel sitting in the 3 foot section of the pool. If theres a problem, stand up. hope this helps and good luck.

I can be under water without my mask and not get water up my nose unless I am trying to breathe out through my nose, ie:clearing my mask. After I breathe out through my nose, I inhale with the regulator and that is I get the water up my nose. I am trying not to breathe in through my nose but have not had success. it seems like as soon as I blow out my nose, I am not shutting it off like I should and i am slightly inhaling water in my nose. Any tips , ??? tricks???

Could it be the bubbles from your reg messing you up? I was fine trying it with a snorkel (just to see if I could actually DO it before I started my classes) and when I tried it the first time with a reg, I found that the as the bubbles passed up by my nose, It felt awkward, so I just tilted my head a bit forward so the bubbles went behind me, no more problem...I still find myself doing that when practicing no mask breathing...

Ok, I understand now. Try this, when going to mask clear, look down slightly, then start exhaling and THEN start to look up. It doesn't take much exhalation to clear your mask of water, so if done properly by the time you inhale with the reg there shouldn't be any water in the mask to go up your nose. :)

You need to practice breathing on your snorkel without your mask. Stand in the shallow end of a pool with only your snorkel. Place your face in the water and imagine you are sucking air through a straw. Keep trying until you can breath on the snorkel while you are swimming without getting water up your nose. My wife had this problem. The sucking air through a straw is one of Walter's tricks that helped my wife get through that part of SCUBA. She would have never gotten certified without it.

I had this problem with 2 of my students this weekend. They had no problem taking the mask off and putting it back on. But when they tried to clear it they got water up their noses. What I found with both of them was their masks were too tight. They were loosened on their faces then tightened 1 click per side. Both of them were then able to clear on one breath without getting water up the nose.

I have had this problem too. After I put the mask on I just pinch my nose, take a good breath and then look up and exhale to clear it. Otherwise I will get water up my nose. Like you I dont think I am breathing with my nose, I dont mean to but I do. Maybe not the best solution but it works for me. For some reason I don't have that problem if I flood the mask but leave it on however if I take it all the way off apparently my brain switches to nose breath mode until the mask is clear again.

Back
Top Bottom