Need backplate help, I'm selling the Ranger!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Raywerner
You will find that the BP is made to nestle your doubles about 1/2 inch closer to your back than most other makes. This is good for your trim, but watch out for the possibility of those pesky wing nuts poking you in the back!

This is BS. The channel does not determine the mounting of doubles. The tanks sit on the backplate the same as any other, on the outside of the channel. The shallower channel will allow a Single tank to sit closer to the diver but not doubles. All that the shallower channel does for doubles is require a little bit longer bolt and to jab your suit with the wing nuts. I have always laughed at this bit of silliness from Abysmal.

omar

I was wondering about that myself omar. How could you get the doubles any closer to your back? It just doesn't make sense. Now look at the monkey.

As far as wing and BP use, I would go with the SS bp and a Halcyon Pioneer 27lb wing. The weight of the BP will get rid of any pesky weight you might need when diving AL80's. The wing is made for single tank diving, and is of excellent quality. When you do get into doubles diving, you can get another bp out of AL and you will be just happy happy joy joy.

This is BS. The channel does not determine the mounting of doubles.

All this proves is that you recieved your socialization and interpersonal skills at the feet of Torquemada.

Tell you what, I've never measured the distance and I bet you haven't either. So, before you start calling people liars, how about I do the measurement comparing an Abysmal BP to the Holy Halcyon. If you are right, I surely will admit it. Do you have the guts to do the same?

Originally posted by Raywerner
All this proves is that you recieved your socialization and interpersonal skills at the feet of Torquemada.
I was going to say the same thing as Omar but was trying to word it nicely when he chimed in... (thanks Omar :D)

Omar is right... the channel has nothing to do with the distance of the tanks from your back... the separation is the thickness of the plate and the wing gusset.

Shane has one of Koplin's original size large plates and his tanks don't sit any closer to his back than mine do with a Halcyon plate.

I bet you haven't either. So, before you start calling people liars, how about I do the
measurement comparing an Abysmal BP to the Holy Halcyon. If you are right, I surely will admit it. Do you have the guts to do the same?
Sure clueless.

They all sit the thickness of the plate away from your back when using doubles.

FYI, I use a Dive-Rite, my wife uses a Koplin, my son has a Halcyon all SS. My daughter dives an aluminum Dive-Rite and I also have an aluminum Abyss that has not been used. They all work the same.

Scott Koplin is the guy who made and designed the first Abysmal Backplates who I know. Do you want me to get him on here and call you clueless as well?

Try some doubles on the screwed up setup that you posted and you will see.

omar

I dive mostly warm freshwater (60+ degrees) and will be going saltwater for the first time. I got Gary's aluminum backplate (fully rigged), a 27# halcyon wing, and a 1 piece single tank adapter (5lbs). Since the wing can be used with or without the STA, I will use it primarily for weight (for example when I dive in california with a 7mm suit). In warm salt water I expect that I can dive with a 3 mm full suit, the backplate, STA and no weight.

I carry 5 lbs on my weightbelt currently with my oceanic chute 2 and will have to recalculate my weight with the backplate.

nahhhh,

got the relief valve set for 4550 psi

:mean:

omar

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom