SCUBA accident in Pool - Scuba Instructor Drowns While Testing Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjomm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If anyone has any further information on this incident I would like to hear about it.

Scuba Instructor Drowns While Testing Equipment

May 8, 2005 8:39 am US/Eastern
(1010 WINS) (MINEOLA) Police say a scuba diving instructor apparently drowned while testing out equipment in a swimming pool at a Long Island high school.

Nassau County Police say a fellow instructor found 38-year-old [removed] at the bottom of the pool at the Chaminade High School in Mineola at about 1:45 Sunday afternoon.

Two instructors pulled [removed] from the pool and tried CPR but couldn't save him.

He was pronounced dead just before 3 p.m.

Very odd??

I'm finding it very difficult to imagine a scenario that would end up like this?

I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that the accident report for this death will be eagerly anticipated.

pt40fathoms:
Very odd??

I'm finding it very difficult to imagine a scenario that would end up like this?

I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that the accident report for this death will be eagerly anticipated.

It does seem odd...Two instructors pulled a third out of the water at a high school. No details as to how the three instructors came to be at a high school, separately or together, etc.

scubasean:
It does seem odd...Two instructors pulled a third out of the water at a high school. No details as to how the three instructors came to be at a high school, separately or together, etc.

Sometimes scuba shops rent their pool time from various places like YMCA's, schools etc. Before my LDS built a new facility with an indoor, heated pool they used to do just that.

I'm definitely curious about the incident either way, as I can't imagine what could have gone so wrong. No need to speculate yet, though.

Kriterian:
Sometimes scuba shops rent their pool time from various places like YMCA's, schools etc. Before my LDS built a new facility with an indoor, heated pool they used to do just that.

I'm definitely curious about the incident either way, as I can't imagine what could have gone so wrong. No need to speculate yet, though.

I would wonder if one or both of the the other two instructors were there all the time and basically said "go ahead, we'll watch you"...

It would seem to not be a normal ooa, since it is normally quite easy to surface from ten feet...

jepuskar:
I'm curious on the specifics...one thing that comes to mind is a rebreather though.
Ditto...First thing that popped into my head as well.

i pulled him out of the water and did chest compressions.

blueboy:
i pulled him out of the water and did chest compressions.

My condolensce to family and friends. This must be a very painful (to say the least experience for yourself and other rescuers.

If there is anything you could pass on to help prevent a similar situation from happing again, we all would appreciate it. It would also stop the speculation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom