Questions about diving on the honeymoon in both Kauai & Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from Kauai a few weeks ago. I did a boat dive with Fathom Five and thought they did a great job, but given the sea sickness you mention, they probably would not be a good choice since their boats are smaller. In fact, I didn't think the waves were too bad but we did have one diver get sick during the ride between sites and back in. They also do shore dives but I can't give you any personal insight. Sea Sport Divers had a larger boat that might work for your situation.

I highly recommend The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook - you can get it through Amazon for about $15. It provides excellent details on activities, sights, dining, shopping - anything you might do while there. I believe the same authors also publish a similar guide for Maui.

Enjoy!

navy85:
I highly recommend The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook - you can get it through Amazon for about $15. It provides excellent details on activities, sights, dining, shopping - anything you might do while there.

I second that! It tells it like it is. we had been to a couple of places before we bought the book and when we checked the book we saw that we weren't the only ones that thought the place(s) sucked :wink:

You can also get the Maui version of this book. . . wonderful!! Even tho we had been to Maui a few times already(with reservations already made for 2007), the book showed us many new and interesting places topside. Maggi

navy85:
I highly recommend The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook - you can get it through Amazon for about $15. It provides excellent details on activities, sights, dining, shopping - anything you might do while there. I believe the same authors also publish a similar guide for Maui.

Enjoy!

BUT - I REALLY enjoyed the Shore Diving option - the water and the life is spectacular and not particularly different from what you see for the closer boat dives, and you can do much more of it! My sons and I enjoyed it so much that we've signed up to spend our Summer with the people we dove with - Sacred Seas Scuba
http://www.sacredseasscuba.com/tours.htm

Jieh's heading there May 19 to DM for the school summer break - I'll be there July 16th to instruct for a month.

I spend a solid 2-3 weeks in Kauai every year. Do the boat dive with Sea Sport Divers... nice boat and the spots are literally minutes from the dock. As for shore diving, which is better than a lot of the boat diving, any of the operations can help you out. Tunnels is a must do dive spot, but as with ALL diving in Kauai is subject to poor vis from surf/weather conditons.

Wow guys... thanks so much for your help! ScubaBoard is the best!!!

We're staying at the Princeville in Kauai (north shore but we'll have a car so we won't mind going to Poipu area for diving) and the Four Seasons in Maui. I will be picking up those guide books, in fact let me order them now!

getting very excited for the wedding and honeymoon... thanks again!

Mr. Schnitzer:
We're staying at the Princeville in Kauai (north shore but we'll have a car so we won't mind going to Poipu area for diving) ....

...haven't stayed at Princeville but did wander about the grounds. Man, that place has an other-worldly Bali-Hai feel on a clear day and calm waters (hmm, I think that was the name of their golf course). The view from the dining room overlooking the bay and the mountains beyond is unbelievable. Allot plenty of time to drive wherever you go on any island; ask the locals at the front desk.

Mr. Schnitzer:
FYI I purchased The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook and The Ultimate Maui Guidebook for < $22 total at Amazon.com

Pretty much finished the Kauai book over the weekend... wow it really was great! I see why you all recommended it... thanks again!

We just bought the Oahu one (got it for $10 at costco :wink: )...and we LIVE here....the books are very good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom