duration of leg cramps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Barbie

Reaction score
Wednesday's dive ended with a leg cramp. I surfaced and worked it out (I thought). It still bothered me a tiny bit and during the night it increased. Couldn't seemed to completely work it out, so walking Thursday mildy uncomfortable.

What are good methods for getting rid of leg cramps?
How long should they last?
How long can they last?
Do you normally cramp in the same leg? I am left handed, so thought my left leg would be stronger....

Thanks,
DD

Some suggestions

-- do some exercises that focus on your calves -- leg curls, toe raises, etc. Even better would be swimming for exercise, including some kciking laps and/or laps with fins on

-- Stretch before and after diving

-- If you feel a cramp coming on underwater, try and switch to an alternate stroke (e.g. frog kick)

-- try and stretch it out underwater (pulling fin slowly towards you)

-- Some folks suggest eating bananas as a way to help avoid cramps.....

Originally posted by pduncang

What are good methods for getting rid of leg cramps?

Thanks,
DD

If I do get a muscle cramp they do often get worse overnight if I don't stick a magnet (not refrigerator kind but ones made for relieving muscle pain) on it. The magnets work every time for me and even faster if you also get the cramped muscle massaged.

Even the most fit of us get the occasional muscle cramp but keeping all your muscles strong does lead to less. I also eat bananas as a preventitive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom