New to this site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately these skills are passed on via the time honored and original method of teaching, one person to another. The likelyhood of the lawyer run training agencies teaching this stuff is about zero. Additionally, much of this is not that different from what is taught today--just a much more subtle approach, of course, some things are very different. Maybe someday there will be enough of us that we can create an agency of our own, a Vintage Sub Aqua Club that certifies it members via a voucher. I vouch for you, you then vouch for another in turn certifying each other etc thus handing the skills onward. We could have our own Vintage Sub Aqua C- cards stating something like "the Holder of this card is experienced with all manner of diving gear and it's appropriate use in any circumstaance he/she sees fit"---lol---is this a dream? N

I know there is some talk over in the PADI camp about a double hose/Vintage Equipment specialty.....It's all talk right now...... I reached a dead end with the folks at SSI.

The big kicker is getting your insurance compay to CYA when you are using 30-40 year old equipment. Especially when there is NO factory certified service courses for the equipment......As an active instructor I can tell you that you spend almost as much time doing legal paperwork that is necessary to CYA as you do teaching scuba diving....It's a sad state of affairs indeed.

2nd would be that is going to be very difficult to find too many shops that can keep and maintain 8-10 sets of vintage gear for the students to use!

Perhaps with the advent of the new USD Double Hose enough interest will be shown and a specialty course can be realized!

I don't think anything like PADI that teaches through a dive shop will ever work. Dive shops in part pay for their insurance etc or at least increase their profit magin--rightly so I suppose--by selling students gear--nothing wrong with that. However, I think it is clear that will never work with our type of diver. The "vintage trainee" is going to have their own gear, much of it used or reproduction. A club where members certify one another seems more realistic. There would be no instructors and advanced this and tech that and all that PADI stuff. Each memeber of the Vintage Sub Aqua club would be able to teach another willing diver and issue them a C-card and then he/she in turn the same. Imagine something like an internet club via a web page where enough of the members know one another that therev is an informal core group.
None of that will address the other issues of getting on a dive boat and not being hassled because you don't want to use a BC. I am afraid that lawyers have removed our freedom of choice. BUT, it would be a start, we simply just issue our own cards. They could be real simple, say Vintage Sub Aqua Club on the front side, with the web site locus and on the back a space to type the vintage divers name. These could be handed out to vintage divers who would write their name on the card and then laminate it---instant PADI free certification--yes--no? VSAC, Vintage Sub Aqua Club. OH, the best part, aside from a small fee for the web site hosting and the cost of printing the cards--it would be FREE? Just some brain storming. It could be formed under a LLC or something like that maybe, the certifying members name never goes on the card, there is no brick and mortar, only an informal web group thus no one or place to sue and no assets for the lieyars to steal? N

Ok Nemrod, have those cards ready for the next vintage dive.

Captain

Hey, have you guys seen the new posts? one is, "diving non certified" , and, "skill or stupid stunt". Its a scream! how in gods name did we stay alive when we learned to dive?? My first dive was in about 8 feet of water arter 15 minutes of instruction. Im not sure I would even TRY to dive if I had to learn now, Just sounds to dangerous to me.
Dave.

I taught myself to dive at age 13 from books. This was 1957 and there were no certification courses or dive shops as we know them today within 1500 miles of where I lived. I bought my equiptment, J valve tank, two hose regulator, mask and fins from a general sporting goods store. There were no BCs, no SPGs at that time. It was either teach myself or don't dive and don't dive wasn't an option. I seemed to have survived it OK and still dive at age 60. I have modern gear but prefer to use the gear I learned on whenever possible.

Have you ever considered what and who gives any of these dive cert agencies legitamacy, was it peer review, was it a college degree, was it word of mouth or did just a bunch of folks get together and decide they would teach diving? I think it was the later and isn't that exactly what I am talking about. Well, if when I retire which I am not at retirement age yet--lol---b ut if no one has stepped up by then I will. On the other hand, I may well print up some C cards, there are probably several dozen dive cert agencies out there already so who is to say there is no room for another. No D rings allowed, if we find D rings you cannot join, oh, wait, what is that on my harness, where is that large and sharp knife!
Vintage diving shall be a D ring free zone and if you show up for a dive with three single hose regs on one tank and two consoles and three computers all at the same time as I encountered recently in Fla., you shall be soundly flogged with D rings, keel hauled behind my kayak and then forced to breath through a double hose until you come your senses. N

Not having been 'certified' doesn't seem to have harmed any of you - your still here!

Guess that gives new meaning to the word 'responsibility' and taking of such for yourself. You either learned fast ot didn't dive for long. Wonder if PADI can make a Vintage Diver C-Card? I know my LDS would push it...

I recently have been comdemplating the value of my modern (and costly) gear vs. my eBay vintage gear. It appears that I am enjoying (albiet a learning curve) my vintage gear much more and today represents a better value via eBay prices vs. prices of new modern stuff.

For example:
US Divers backpack - $15 (eBay)
US Divers knife - $15 (ditto) (thats my 'baby')
2 Dacor J-Valves w/spg ports - $27 (eBay)
Scubapro Jets - Large - new - $65
Aqua Lung Aqua Master DA - rebuilt & tuned - $400

My - for LESS than $550 I have a fairly complete rig. Try that at your LDS with modern gear! Let's see -

Computer - $300+
BC - $350+
Regulator - $200+
Octopus - $85+
Fins - $100+
Wetsuit - $200+

I would not pursue vintage diving for "cheap" purposes. It can be more costly especially if the collector bug in you is triggered. I do not dive vintage to save money, none of my vintage gear is cheap or shoddy or substandard. A good Royal or DA plus overhaul can run more bucks than a nice modern single hoser---dive vintage because you love it or want to experience something different but saving money is probably not a good reason. Have you ever heard the saying, "some people will go to any expense to save a buck" ? lol. N

Finally! Ive found the right spot on scuba board! Maybe I will even find a dive buddy, I am an EVIL solo diver only because I cant stand the out of control tech side of diving and am sick of getting crap for not having up graded by gear every year. I do have new Equipment, but my reg is an 18 year old SP D300, and just had to upgrade my beloved MK VII because I was tired of the dive shop complaining every time it came in for svc. I wish that somone had told me that the gear choices I have made were unsafe, and death death traps BEFORE I made thousands of dives on them over 30 years! I went on vacation to Fla. once and took my DA, back plate, mask fins snorkel and belt (no wt.) Travel light, rent tank ,enjoy a fiew great dives in warm clear water. Had to shore dive because no charter would let me in the water off their boat. NO BC!!?? And you know what? Its only gotten worse. Sorry for the rant, but I havent had a sympathetic ear to blow out on for years. Im really not nuts, just P ss d off a little at having to watch my favorite pass time go to "higher education" for no logical reason. Please don't ask me to leave, im all done now I promise.:)

Dave

Back
Top Bottom