Thinking of upgrading...Digital SLR??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm doing some initial research into a new camera. I currently use an Olympus C4000 with the PT Housing. I have a few problems with my current camera that I'm hoping a Digital SLR might fix. Maybe you can tell me if an SLR is the solution.

Problem #1. The time it takes between when I push the button and when it actually takes the picture. This is about 1/2 a second but in UW photography this is light years. Is an SLR faster?

Problem #2. The depth of field. I'd like more range here. I know there's a big difference between film and digital but my girlfriends camera (film) has way better DOF. Will an slr help me out here?

Problem #3. Options for lenses. My current camera has limited options. I want something that I can grow with. Not that I'm an expert with my olympus but I'd like more room to expand and learn.

I've looked around a bit on the internet but it's so overwhelming. I don't know where to start. Maybe someone could suggest a camera that has some of these features that I want. That way I could analyze it and use it as a means of comparison for other cameras. As for a price range, I'm not really sure what I want to spend yet. I'm willing to invest more money but I'd still like to be able to aford to dive. :wink: Also, does anyone know any good websites for more information?

Yes, yes, yes.

Prepare the bank manager :wink: dSLR is not for the faint of heart when it comes to spending the cash.

Check out www.digitaldiver.net under Cameras as this topic has just been discussed with lots of ideas from those who have gone dslr, those thinking of going there and those who have decided, for the moment, not to. Also look at the strobe finder - it's an awesome tool.

dpreview.com and stevesdigicams.com offer great comparisions between models of lots and lots of digital cameras. www.digideep.com will let you know what housing options are available.

and don't forget www.wetpixel.com

Yes, SLR is the way to go for what you are looking for. You can get cheap, ie less than $1000 bodies all the way up to expensive, $8000. But i would suggest if you are gonna buy, buy something that will grow with you, not a cheap end Canon Rebel or new Nikon D50. But Canon and Nikon are definitely your only bets, Canon seems to have the better cameras, Nikon the better lenses.

Its a tough choice thats for sure, i would suggest either Nikon D70s or Canon 20D. Good middle of the line cameras with good size. Then its just a choice of housings (I will say Aquatica here, i am biased) and of course arms and strobes. I would also look for a good wide zoom and a macro lens to start, in Nikon 12-24 and 60mm
Basically you are going to be looking at around $5000-$8000 to go whole hog with ports and dual strobes....

FWIW I was just asking about Canons and the new Rebel - 350 or something - is really winning hearts for image quality. evidently it isn't as sturdy as the 20D, but that shouldn't be too big an issue if you take care of your gear and don't need it for rugged topside stuff.

Mike Veitch:
and don't forget www.wetpixel.com

But Canon and Nikon are definitely your only bets, Canon seems to have the better cameras, Nikon the better lenses

Not forgetting the Fuji S2/S3's of course!!

chippy:
Not forgetting the Fuji S2/S3's of course!!

Oops, you're right about that, but i guess they could fit in the Nikon camp, lenses after all are Nikon.

Is there a housing for the S3?
These cameras have the advantage of TTL for some reason no one else has done so in that range

jiveturkey, the answers are:

Yes
Maybe (depends on your lens/port/ISO combination)
Yes

As alcina says, bring wheelbarrow for cash.

All the best, James

as others have mentioned, wetpixel, digital diver, and this site are the best that i know of for underwater photgraphy questions. i recently upgraded to an slr in december and am happy that i did. my old camera was a canon s500 for underater photos. i upgraded to the old digital rebel (the a300) and got an aquatica housing. be forewarned, i think the absolute cheapest you will pay getting an slr with lenses and strobes in a housing underwater is about $4k. even with the lowly digital rebel it cost me about $6k all said and done, though i bought a pair of rebel bodies. i am much happier now with the output and pretty much only use the 10-22 lens and the 100mm lens underwater anymore. just looking at my gallery it is pretty easy to see the benefit of getting an slr as all of the galleries before palau were shot with the s500 and the most recent gallery with the a300.

I upgraded from the Olympus 4040 with a Light & Motion housing to the Canon Digital Rebel with a Sea & Sea housing last July. I have been very happy with the switch for all of the reasons you've thought about (avoiding shutter lag, depth of field, more f stops, more lens options, etc). There are definitely better cameras out there but as an amateur photographer I've enjoyed the results with the Rebel. Like Lee3 above, you can see the difference in images on my website (www.debersole.com). Photos before July 2004 were taken with the Olympus 4040 and those afterwards have been with the Canon Rebel. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom