F4U Corsair Gosford

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FRYN13

Reaction score
Does anyone have the cordonates or triangulation of the F4U Corsair in 75 ft of water off Crystal Cove CA. My friend and I would really like to dive this plane before it is completely gone. Any info would be cool.

Thanks,

ScubaMark

hey, i moved your question here so the locals can help

welcome aboard

FRYN13:
Does anyone have the cordonates or triangulation of the F4U Corsair in 75 ft of water off Crystal Cove CA. My friend and I would really like to dive this plane before it is completely gone. Any info would be cool.

Thanks,

ScubaMark

I wonder the same thing...I've inquired about this wreck with Gordon over at Laguna Sea Sports a couple of months ago and he said "great wreck if you can find it"...according to him it's a pain in the .... to locate it so it doesn't worth trying he says.
Hopefuly we'll have someone on this board knows about this wreck..I'd love to check it out.

Cheers...
R.Duzel

But, you gotta have a boat. The Gosford and F4U Corsair are two different wrecks.

The Gosford is in Santa Barbara. It was a big tall ship. Very cool. Masts don't stand anymore, but I did see some cool critters on it (either monkeyface pricklebacks or wolf eels).

The F4U Corsiar is a ww2 era fighter plane. It was designed for the navy (or marines?) to go on a carrier, with wings that fold up. It is just outside of the UW state park off Crystal Cove State Beach. However, the park likes to think they have control of it. I do not beleive one could beach dive it, unless you really like surface swims (its easily a mile out). Also, it is small. Really small. Really, really small. BTW, did I say how small it is?

This makes it hard to find. With the coordinates, I have found it on four of 7 attempts. It's a very small target and low profile. It only comes off the sand about 5 feet. Well, maybe five feet, closer to four feet. And that was before the last storm.

Alll that was left last time I saw it was the front part of the fuselage. The wings were mostly buried under the sand. What was exposed were the wing ribs, as the sheeting has gone by way of the missing engine and cockpit cover. Did I mention how little there is?

Anyway, the coords can be obtained from me for the price of a boat trip *batting eyelashes* :gr1:

BTW, it is very small and hard to find.

Well, there it is...Gordon's right....not worth trying, especialy that much of a swim is involved, don't have a boat either. So, I give up on the "little" fellow.
Cheers,
R.Duzel

Godly_Diver:
Well, there it is...Gordon's right....not worth trying, especialy that much of a swim is involved, don't have a boat either. So, I give up on the "little" fellow.
Cheers,
R.Duzel

Don't give up so easy! Someone is bound to chime in with a boat big enough to carry all of us interested in finding the little guy. :eyebrow:

Anyone...Anyone... :wink:

Franko's Map of Orange County Coast Diving shows it about 1/3 of a mile (600 yards) straight out from split rock. But given that I do not know how accurate the map is for placement of the wreck, a 600 yard surface swim, currents to contend with and 15'-20' vis (if your lucky); I would think that it is nearly impossible to find from the beach.

Best bet would be to get those coordinates and try I find it from a boat.

:1poke: Now... Who has a boat???

can the gosford be dove from shore?

PhotoTJ:
So, Laurel, it's small, then? :wink:

Yes, it is. But you wouldn't know about such things, would you? :eyebrow:

mossym:
can the gosford be dove from shore?

Probably. It is in only 30-40 feet of water. I dove it from the vision. Get more info from www.cawreckdivers.org

Boat owner, boat owner, where are youuuu?

:p :blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom