Zena review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MightyDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I spent all yesterday and this morning in the water (Lake Travis in Austin) trying out my new equipment. My BC is the Zeagle Zena that they made for me in XS. I thought I'd share my thoughts on it.

OH MY GOSH is this BC comfortable! It fits like a bodice and feels great! Almost like just wearing normal clothes your size that are streamlined. It follows your curves exactly with it's 3 different areas for customizing it. You don't have to have an hour glass shape to wear this BC but it is the best BC for my shape that I have tried. I LOVE it! It held in place on land and in the water without ANY riding up or side to side movement. I tried some acrobatics underwater and it stayed put without constricting my breathing or even having me notice it.

I really get bruised from weight belts so I was also pleased that the weight pockets on the Zena worked so well. BIG zippers that are easy to manage and pleated pockets for lots of room for weights. I packed two weights (bean bag kind) inside a weight bag into each pocket and hade no trouble getting them in.

Getting the Zena on and off takes maybe one second with its big zipper entry/exit. I so love this instead of the velcro and buckle BCs I've tried. And the Zena fits over my boobs (GG cup) too which is a comfort! The upper straps allow for different torso lengths and follow the figure without smooshing.

I don't have strong hands and I found I could put on/off the Zena by myself with no problem. Their slides really work well.

Oh and a bonus I found is that it has TWO tank straps that even I with my weak hands could manage to open and close without much effort. and the strap ends velcro so nicely out of the way so there's no loose ends floating/flapping.

So, overall, I am thrilled with my new Zena! Could you tell??:wink:

I don't recall the brands/models of the other two ladies BCDs I tried before I tried the Zena. The others looked like the men's versions just sized smaller. I do recall they had velcro cummerbunds. Neither were suited to my figure so I kept looking/trying until I asked them to take down the Zena off their display. Sorry i can't be more help.

I've done 2 dive trips with my Scubapro Ladyhawk & it's great!
When I tried it and the Zena in the pool, I had less roll with the Ladyhawk.
One feature I like is the integrated weights. The two weight pockets unclip & slide out easily, so you can take them out & hand them up into a boat just like a weightbelt if you want.
I'm a size 10 & have a medium. If I were to buy again, I would probably get a small. There's lots of adjustment, so it fits well. But I think a small would fit & just be a little less bulky. The dive store people don't always know what size fits us best.
Also I like the hardpack, and the quick release tank strap is easy to use.

Wow! That's some endorsement for the Zena!! I used to have the Zeagle Ranger (because the girl BCs did not fit me 3 years ago when I was buying). Does the Zena have Zeagle's patented "perpetual annoyance" weight release system? (Single red pull-tab that undoes intricately threaded pockets containing bags of lead?) I went back to a weight belt after any number of embarrassing situations in the surf zone, but continued to use the BC until it was stolen. If Zeagel ever makes something with "sane weights," I'm on it (or it's on ME!):eek:ut:

Originally posted by art.chick
Does the Zena have Zeagle's patented "perpetual annoyance" weight release system? (Single red pull-tab that undoes intricately threaded pockets containing bags of lead?)

Yes, there is still the red pull cord but you certainly don't have to use it. Since the Zena is so form fitting and doesn't have bulges around the waist or hips, you can easily wear a weight belt with it. I just pop a mesh bag with a few pounds into each of the zippered (nice large easy to grab ones) weight pockets. I can just unzip to ditch or add as needed. No cord pulling yet required. Knock on wood!

Originally posted by art.chick
Wow! That's some endorsement for the Zena!! I used to have the Zeagle Ranger (because the girl BCs did not fit me 3 years ago when I was buying). Does the Zena have Zeagle's patented "perpetual annoyance" weight release system? (Single red pull-tab that undoes intricately threaded pockets containing bags of lead?) I went back to a weight belt after any number of embarrassing situations in the surf zone, but continued to use the BC until it was stolen. If Zeagel ever makes something with "sane weights," I'm on it (or it's on ME!):eek:ut:

I've been looking at possibly buying a Zeagle Escape. Tell me more about the weight problem. What attracts me to it is a) the lumbar support; b) the light weight and small packup size -- good for travelling. I am waiting for one to come in that has a medium shoulder to neck length and large vest size (I'm just into the plus size range -- wear a women's 16.) I will have to say that the rip cord weight ditch system does not appeal to me. I think it would be awkward to have to reach across my belly to pull it and I should think it would be a pain to rethread it.

I am also thinking about the Ladyhawk or the Zena. I like the weight system in the Ladyhawk, but it is a bit heavier and not as compact for packing compared to the Zeagle Escape and Zena models. The Diva is also a possibility. It is very comfortable when you try it on, but in the water it tends to ride up and I like the freedom of arm movement you get with a back inflation BC.

Originally posted by MightyDiver
Well, I spent all yesterday and this morning in the water (Lake Travis in Austin) trying out my new equipment. My BC is the Zeagle Zena that they made for me in XS.

....... And the Zena fits over my boobs (GG cup) too which is a comfort!

Yike -- how does one have an XS figure with a GG cup size??? Do you have one of those impossible Barbie Doll figures?

Originally posted by DivingDoc

Yike -- how does one have an XS figure with a GG cup size??? Do you have one of those impossible Barbie Doll figures?

Um, yes but more like Short Barbie since I'm only 5'3".

Back
Top Bottom