Wanted - Equipment Comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burnt3d

Reaction score
hi- i dont have many choices for equipment in iowa. i found a shop about 60 miles from my house with really good service. they only sell oceanic and genesis. here what im thinking for equipment: akona andros mask
bc- op 5k, pro tour, or probe
reg- oceanic delta 3 w/ dx4 1st stg
snorkel- oceanic cobra
wetsuit- harvey's titanium 3mm & 7mm
titanium hood, boots,and gloves
computer- oceanic data pro plus
then the norm for the rest. let me know what you guy's think or can suggest. thanks, tim

If they only sell oceanic and genesis, find somewhere else that sells more is my advice.

I know of only one shop that sells such a restricted range of gear, and that's because they make most of it.

There is plenty of good gear out there, and the only way to get what is right for you is to try as many different ones as possibly. Try before you buy is the best advice when it comes to equipment, if you only have such a limmited choice, you can hardly try on anything.

Different manufacturers have different ideas as to what shape people are, how to make things, what to make them from, and what features people want. Most people here have equipment from a vast array of manufacturers. I have Scubapro (BCD), Buddy (Wings behind BCD), Apeks (Regs), Faber (steel tanks), Beauchat (steel tanks), local del cheepo (weightbelt), SeacSub (Mask, Fins, Snorkel), Typhoon (gloves, hood, and poolsuit), Northern Diver (drysuit), and the list goes on.......

I would also caution against getting everything at once. There are people here, who after a few dives on their kit have decided to change it ALL (for example going from a recreational setup to a DIR setup). Try before you buy, rent as many different types of kit as possible so that you can then make a more informed choice as to what you want.

Also, the more diving you do, the more you will develop your own preferences for dive types. When you know what diving you will be doing, then you can start buying gear.

Hope this helps,

Jon T

Oceanic is a very good brand...don't know much about Genesis though. The mask is a good choice..as long as it fits. Of the three BCs, I think the OP 5K is overpriced for what you get (just my own opinion), the Pro Tour is nice...but if you can dive with it before you actually buy it, do it. Most places have a "try before you buy" program. Alot of our customers were disappointed in it when they actually took it in the water. Some absolutely loved it, though. Our biggest selling Oceanic BCs are the Chute 2, and the Contour. Take a look at them, if you have a chance.

The computer (Data Pro Plus) is one of the best choices I can think of! Same with the regulator. Delta 3 is an excellent buy for the money! Breathes great and is compact. The only suggestion I can make on that would be if you could get the CDX 1st stage. It is just the compact version of the DX4, but it makes packing and travelling a little easier.

Don't know much about Harvey's wetsuits..but my boss just ordered an Oceanic Titanium wetsuit and said it was the most comfortable thing he ever wore!

Overall, sounds like good choices. Enjoy!!

I have a couple of generic comments on gear that may be of some use. I assume (and forgive me if this is incorrect)that you are a new diver with a few dives. Take some time before deciding on buying any gear (except mask, snorkle and fins). Rent, beg or borrow the gear that you need and dive it until you get a real feel for what kind and the amount of diving you REALLY will be doing. Like any new sport, it takes a while to understand what you really like and what you really need. If it turns out that you don't dive but once or twice a year, why buy $2000 worth of equipment to sit in a closet and dryrot. On the other hand, if you can/do start diving every weekend and take a liking to cave diving and you just bought the stuff for an occasional warm water dive, a new setup is in order. Also, there is no need to buy it all at one time, do it in stages as the understanding of what your diving style will be begins to gel. Good quality dive gear last a LONG time. I just retired an old BC and reg from about 1980 and then only because I just wanted a new one, both are still in good order and I would dive them again. I recently purchased a complete setup from a lady that was less than 1 year old for less than half it's new price, she started her cert, bought all new gear to get certified in(and top quality stuff, the reason I got it, my wife has just started to dive), did the cert dives and never dove again and I ended up with almost new gear (3 dives on it per the computer) for less than 1/2 price...she got in too quick and lost a lot of money. By all means, buy your own gear and buy quality gear when you do, just wait until you have a better feel for what you really want and do try different types and manufactures, there are a lot of good brands, each with a different feel and features.

Tim,

Good advice above about taking your time on buying new gear. I am a newbie as well (25 dives), so I am going through the same process.

It's not until you complete your course and some open water dives under your belt that you start to develop informed opinions about what gear will work well for you and what won't. Should you get a regulator with a swivel or without? DIN valve or yoke? Steel or aluminum tanks? Some of these decisions will be made based on your experience to date -- I would also encourage you to think about the FUTURE diving you will be doing, since this might have a BIG impact on your gear choices (wreck, Nitrox, etc.). By renting for at least a few months, some of these decisions will become clearer. I have been diving for about a year and I still haven't bought my first reg yet -- as I have gotten more dives under my belt, talked to other divers, read reviews and surfed various scuba web-sites, I have changed my mind several times about what type of features I am looking for and the brands that look attractive.

All that being said -- if you live in an area with few dive shops, choices may be few and far between. The good news is that the Oceanic Delta III is a great reg. I have rented these before and was favorably impressed. See the April issue of Rodale's Scuba Diving -- they have a review of regs over $400, and I believe the Delta III is in the write-up.

Good luck!

thanks for all of the input. i just thought itd be easier to buy from one shop because of doing your yearly inspections. the shop im taking my class from will do bc, reg, and gauges for $50. let me know, tim.

I know you guys are going to flame me for this, but I really like the backplate w. harness and wing for a single tank. It is slick in the water and easy to repair (if you have to).

For regs, oceanic, Apex, SP are all good.

Eric

I am a newbie also and I have yet to try the wings and back plate, but I really like the idea of them. I am going to try them and think that may be the way I go. We will see.

Hey Eric:

Just to let you know I like Wings and Backplates too.
So much so that we instruct with them in our recreational diving classes. I think from here anyone can go where they want without to much of an expense to upgrade. Eg. Wreck, Tech or Cave.

Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom