First dives with the Nikon D2X/Subal in Key Largo on Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marriard

Contributor
Reaction score
Took the new D2X diving on Saturday in Key Largo - conditions were about average. Although the water was a very dark blue, it was not a great horizontal vis day, with an average of about 50'.

Images are minorly editting - mainly just resized for the web and slightly sharpened. Color is slightly adjusted but is a fair representation of out of the camera. Wide angle taken with the Nikon 12-24mm DX lens, Macro with the Nikon 60mm lens.

Diver swims over the bow of the USCGC Bibb
1.jpg

Cup Coral on the Radar Tower on the USCGC Duane
2.jpg

Grunt
3.jpg

Squirrelfish
4.jpg

These were very definetly 'getting to know you' dives with the D2X and the Subal Housing. The shutter trigger is in a very different position to the Aquatica S2 Housing, although the strap on the Subal housing makes the shutter, aperture and shutter speed controls all accessible without having to move your hand. I have 10 dives or so scheduled this weekend, so I'll have a full opinion on the housing/camera combination at that stage although it is very positive so far.

Most impressive is the blue in the first image and the relatively good sun detail in the Duane Radar Tower image.

Yours,
M

Very nice, I am impressed. Subal supposed to be shipping out my housing in the next couple of weeks so hopefully I will get to try out my D2X soon.
Which domeport did you use your 12-24mm with? Did you have to use diopter?

The pictures of the squirrel and the grunts are the final nails on the film camera's coffin.

f3nikon:
The pictures of the squirrel and the grunts are the final nails on the film camera's coffin.

There is an interesting article in Outdoor photography (I believe) this month discussing the future of film.

While I love digital the *experts* are saying that the film market is leveled off, and is stabalizing. Interesting. Both Nikon (F6) and Canon continue to make improvements and release film based cameras.

In the fashion word film is still very widely used (medium fomat) as well as in the LF industry.

While I agree digital is great, It does not have to be an one or the other, there is room for both. Only time will tell.

I like the second, and last shots....

Must be nice to be shooting with such great equipment.

The D2x is VERY impressive. The smaller sensor is giving the 1Ds Mark II a run for the money in the area of image quality and resolution... wow. It is NOT just about mpix which very few seem to realize.

So what does a Subal housing run for this monster?

Enjoy the D2x.. and try and not flood it :wink:

RonFrank:
I like the second, and last shots....

Must be nice to be shooting with such great equipment.

The D2x is VERY impressive. The smaller sensor is giving the 1Ds Mark II a run for the money in the area of image quality and resolution... wow. It is NOT just about mpix which very few seem to realize.

So what does a Subal housing run for this monster?

Enjoy the D2x.. and try and not flood it :wink:

Retail for the housing (NO ports) is $4,900.

Will you buy me one?????

Please!!!

Dave

RonFrank:
There is an interesting article in Outdoor photography (I believe) this month discussing the future of film.

While I love digital the *experts* are saying that the film market is leveled off, and is stabalizing. Interesting. Both Nikon (F6) and Canon continue to make improvements and release film based cameras.

In the fashion word film is still very widely used (medium fomat) as well as in the LF industry.

While I agree digital is great, It does not have to be an one or the other, there is room for both. Only time will tell.

Good point, I'll limit that comment to 35mm film. Speaking of outdoors, this photographer was a die hard film guy...the D2x made him switch.

http://www.johnshawphoto.com/equipment.htm

well hopefully once I've sold my S2 and housing I'll be able to get a shiny new one for my D2x.

The land results are definately promising!!!

My favorite is the squirrelfish. Great pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom