DM swim times?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtivat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know PADI's break down of time for the DM swim tests? ie. 800 meter snorkle 400 meter swim and 100 meter diver tow.

Thanks
JT

400 yrd swim
Under 6 min = 5
Under 8 min = 4
Under 10 min = 3
Under 12 min = 2
Over 12 min =1

15 in tread water
last 2 min hands out = 5
no two hands out = 3
touch pool sides = 1

800 yd. snorkel
Under 13 min = 5
Under 15 min = 4
Under 17 min = 3
Under 19 min = 2
Over 19 min = 1

100 yd. tired diver tow
Under 2 min = 5
Under 3 min = 4
Under 4 min = 3
Under 5 min = 2
Over 5 min = 1

I think.

remember, you don't need to do all the tests in one night...e.g. do the treading water and one of the timed swims together and take some pressure off yourself.......also if you have a few people in the class ...do the swim tests "against" each other.....itz easier with someone your trying to beat than by yourself....

No fair....... I DID have to do all mine in one night, damn near killed me... lol Found muscles I never knew I even had the next morning..

Paco is right on with those times. If you stop at anytime during these swims, you get an incomplete... so, just keep swimming.

stu_in_fl:
remember, you don't need to do all the tests in one night...e.g. do the treading water and one of the timed swims together and take some pressure off yourself.......also if you have a few people in the class ...do the swim tests "against" each other.....itz easier with someone your trying to beat than by yourself....

The instructor I was considering DM for told me they were endurance tests that had to be completed one after another...Obviously, the pool tests would be separated from the ocean swim by the time it takes to get to the ocean...

I ended up not doing DM, for a different reason...

scubasean:
The instructor I was considering DM for told me they were endurance tests that had to be completed one after another...Obviously, the pool tests would be separated from the ocean swim by the time it takes to get to the ocean...

I ended up not doing DM, for a different reason...

Guess it depends on the agency maybe? They weren't endurance tests when I did them, they were proficiency tests. It was more a case of demonstrating a certain level of conditioning, not preparedness for a triathalon. We never had to do more than one of the water tests in a single session unless we wanted to. I think I did the tread and diver tow both in one pool session, but split the other two. And there was no "Ocean" swim, as Colorado is a bit short on salt water ... :wink: or water of any sort. All of mine were done doing laps in a pool.

Actually, I have liked to do the tread in the ocean... I have to work to get under the surface in salt water without some lead, so treading water isn't even a challenge. I've actually done it off the back of a catamaran in the BVI having cocktails and hors d'oevres for a half hour or more with a surfboard as a cocktail table. :crafty: I didn't even have to use the flotation aids that the others are using here...

In addition, these are EXIT requirements (PADI DM)so you don't have to complete them at the beginning of the class and they are not a one shot test. You can retest during your DM training if you don't make the required 12 points on the first attempt or have some strange desire to improve on your score.

Back
Top Bottom