same day classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

john kadel

Reaction score
my family and i will be going on a cruise this next week, and we have seen several advertisements for dives after taking a 30 minute plus class.

i have been certified for several years and went through the weeks of pool and fresh water dives before going into the ocean.

a refresher for me sounds fine, but my daughter and son are interested and have never scuba dived before. is it safe if i'm with them, or have they changed courses so much in recent years that i have nothing to be worried about.

thanks

Hi John

If it is a PADI affiliated org you are probably looking at the Discover Scuba Diving program. As with any scuba course you must be comfortable with the instr. If it looks as though he/she has that assembly line worker gaze and canned responses to any questions you may have, stay away. I have seen/heard about some pretty bizarre methods of conducting this program or clones, but have not heard anything about the cruise lines.
In my corner of the world we recommend at least the Scuba Diver qual which teaches the essentials prior to people jetting off to "sites" unkown.

BTW taking a refresher is an excellent idea!

Hi John Remora has it right but one other thing besides checking out the on board Instructors, try and find out a little about where your family are going to dive and just what ratio of instructors to new divers there is.

Raffles

But the course was more like 4 hours, not 30 minutes! He actually learned quite a bit in those 4 hours-enough to enjoy what he was doing at 40fsw. He's completed his Confined pool sessions and will take the OW next month in Nevis.

Might be leary of 30 minutes....

Hi

I have conducted a number of Discover SCUBA classes, and I have never heard of one that takes 1/2 and hour. It usually takes that long just to gear up. If thats the case then I'd have to question what you are paying for, how many students are in the class, the ratio of instructor to students, and the conditions that you will be diving in. Also what can be learned in 1/2 an hour?

A normal Discover SCUBA class with a ratio of 1 to 2 or 1 to 4 (Instructor to student) should take between 2 to 4 hours.

regards

Hocky

OMG! Please tell me they aren't sticking ppl in the ocean after only a 30 minute instructional period!

OK, OK

I'am really not one to pass on 3rd party info but I just can't get over this one. A couple who are presently enrolled in an O/W class with me related their DSD experience. I'am not sure what agency and really it matters not because NO agency would sit by and allow this to go on. Picture this; Tourist pays for DSD experience (150.00 USD) is told to meet in the hotel bar. Instructor (?) meets students at bar has a coupla wets then proceeds to go over the admin and "Academics" 30 min worth of which most is taken up by some sort of liability waiver form. All board small mini bus which is followed by very old pick up carrying gear. More "Academics" are imparted enroute. Gear is set up by assistants and fun seekers are helped into gear in water told to put reg in, breath, pinch nose and blow and if everthing feels "OK" to follow instructor on tour down to approx 40 - 45'. On completion of 20 min dive all are loaded back on bus and transported back to hotel. Apparently this whole process took about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

It's really a wonder more people are not hurt.

this last post is what concerns me most. several years ago in porta vallarta i went through a class with my brother and sister in law. at least they spent some time in a pool going over the basics before going into the ocean. and, i was able to stay close to them all the time and add to what may not have been covered during the lesson.

this is in nassau, and it seems awfully short, though it is encouraging to be updated on legitimate classes that are shorter than what i went through.

if anyone has specific info on nassau, or cocoaqua (sp) with royal carribean, i would appreciate it.

thanks,

jak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom