WHY Dive shops make you Feel GUILTY ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSky:
I think some dive shops find it hard when "Customers" Come in to their store with a list of Items they found on an Internet site and want to get the proper size / Fit...

It's not right for a diver to go into a shop (with no intention of purchasing) only to try gear on for fit/size - If I go into a shop because I need to size it, I ask the price first and make sure I am willing to pay that for the convenience of trying it on. If I'm not, then I don't take any more time of the employee. But either way they have the chance to "sell" me merchandise :D

On the other hand I will take a list in and ask how close they can come to competing with it - usually they tell me to just get it online (though sometimes that answer takes a couple of weeks :wink: )

Tim

ScubaSky:
I think some dive shops find it hard when "Customers" Come in to their store with a list of Items they found on an Internet site and want to get the proper size / Fit.

Regardless of how compitent or polite the service is (I Have experienced complete incompetence to bending over backwards for me) It costs the dive shop money to have inventory on hand and employees help you when you have no intention to purchase the equipment your are trying on.

I will spend more money at my LDS so that I can have a face to talk to about equipment problems or concerns. Rather than some Wharehouse sending hundreds of items out daily, and that couldn't care less about who I am or what happens to me in the future.

My biggest question would be whether the online products have a manufacturers Warranty? And who pays the shipping in case of a return (in the unlikely case it is covered) My LDS switches bad equipment on the spot in most if not all cases.

If I need to get something to fit, and I use the LDS to get it to fit right, I buy from the LDS unless the price is astronomically high...

As for warranty, it is certainly an issue, but I've only used a warranty once in my entire life(on a car I bought; it needed a $200 "customization" in the computer...), since I tend to buy things that function properly...On the off chance that I get a product that fails to function properly, I'll get it fixed, warranty or not...

If you find you are using warranties alot, I'd question the choice of product...

kidspot:
It's not right for a diver to go into a shop (with no intention of purchasing) only to try gear on for fit/size - If I go into a shop because I need to size it, I ask the price first and make sure I am willing to pay that for the convenience of trying it on. If I'm not, then I don't take any more time of the employee. But either way they have the chance to "sell" me merchandise :D

On the other hand I will take a list in and ask how close they can come to competing with it - usually they tell me to just get it online (though sometimes that answer takes a couple of weeks :wink: )

Tim

touche!

Agreed...

kidspot:
It's not right for a diver to go into a shop (with no intention of purchasing) only to try gear on for fit/size

Depends whether you mean a moral or legal sense. From a moral sense, I agree with you and personnaly avoind using LDSs in this manner. OTOH, from a legal standpoint there is nothing wrong with such a practice. As with most store, the goods are there for you to examine which often includes trying them on. The stores offer this as a free service (no charge) to entice customers to buy. So I can live with "to each his own". If an LDS would like to charge for trying things on, I don't see much to stop them; other than competition and customer perceptions.

Hey, look at it this way, if you go into a dive shop at least you give the employee an opportunity to get off his butt, possibly secure a new, loyal customer, and actually earn his pay !!!

The Kraken:
Hey, look at it this way, if you go into a dive shop at least you give the employee an opportunity to get off his butt, possibly secure a new, loyal customer, and actually earn his pay !!!

Hey, I would say that I resemble that remark but, I am never on my butt. To busy talking to customers and explaining the gear, never use pressure tactics makes me feel cheap. I always remember how my first time I bought my first car the salesperson was just out to get his money and make a quick buck. The first hand experience of the pressure tactics and guilt that was used by them (car dealers) is not how I would want to be. If you come in and just are browsing then I tell them go ahead if you have any questions ask and I will be happy to oblige you in anyway. If you want to try on for a fit then fine we will fit you. Majority of the time I am looking for someone to dive with anyway, diving is much more fun than filling and blending tanks.

My LDS owner is a great guy, he treats me well. And for sure he pointed out that the prices on the net is much better than his, but he also pointed out that I will get personal attention and service that the net can't give.

About trying for size, he said come on in and try anything I liked because if I don't come in at all, he won't get a chance to get my business period. When I come in, at least he has a chance. So to his advantage that I come in and try the stuffs.

Oh, and he personally told me last year, he did over $1Mil (yes, million) in business on one shop. He bought another local shop about 6 months ago and about to build another shop from the ground up. So I won't feel guilty at all :).

But since his shop is very convenient to my house, I do spend money there and also my money on the net.
Bottom line, I spend the money the way I wanted. Being frugal, I do buy from the net, but for convenient and service, I pay a little extra at the LDS.
Peace.

cyklon_300:
is over-emphasized.

In 26 years of diving and $14,000+ worth of gear, I've used a warranty zero times. The only piece that ever went back to the mfg was due to a recall.

Maybe if you buy cheap, low-end stuff it might be useful, but that's not what I buy.
Uhm not really. My father has a Scubapro MK10/109 that he has been diving since the late 70s/early 80s and has been kept in warranty. The first stage housing developed a crack after 20+ years of use and a few thousand dives. We sent it back to Scubapro and they replaced the housing no questions asked. I know of quite a few stories like this.

My LDS is awesome. I was able to test, configure and get USED to my new gear after purchase before I used it on a trip to the Keys, and appreciated them for that. Had I bought it online, I would not have had that opportunity.

I have purchased gear from several places, my personal gear was bought during a trip to the Keys a few years back (Divers Direct), I bought a computer from LP, a new mask from the Diver's Direct in Dania Beach. my BCD and Reg set from my LDS, (not to mention the odd piece here and there, as well as the light and hangers that my wife got my for Christmas) and my reg bag from Scubatoys. (oh, and I bought a whistle from another LDS since I feel bad for stopping in and glomming a copy of Dive Training every month heh heh heh)

One thing to qualify, when I bought my personal gear, my LDS was not in existance, when I bought the computer, they didn't carry those at that time, and the mask I bought in Dania Beach was a brand that they do not carry, I'm sure that in most cases, if they DID carry the items, I would have picked them up there, because they sincerely stand by what they sell!

But with that said, I DO think that there's room for everybody to exist, but I definately wouldn't have considered anyone but my main LDS to get my regs and BC, no question!

(I also support other shops by buying their t-shirt! hahaha!)

I am also told that Diver's direct in Dania Beach is a great place to buy.

Buoyant1:
I bought a computer from LP, a new mask from the Diver's Direct in Dania Beach. my BCD and Reg set from my LDS, (not to mention the odd piece here and there, as well as the light and hangers that my wife got my for Christmas) and my reg bag from Scubatoys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom