Force Fins--dare I ask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

>> FF's sure can take a beating!

My Tan Deltas are 12 years old. Replaced the bungees once. Still trying to figure out how to polish them out so they're transparent again, but other than that they're the same as day 1.

Yea, Ive tried nearly the entire line. I do like the original force fins in the tan delta material, but beyond that set of fins the rest of them felt pretty awkward in the water. Definitely lots of power but I prefer the jet fin for raw power, and I like the twin jets for a happy medium.

I did not spend a lot of time dealing with those fins in the water just a dive or two, maybe if I gave them a better shot but I really did not like them, especially compared to the cost of jet fins.

Good luck

JUMBO

Hi,

I've recently aquired a couple of force fins at a resonable price and was wondering how does one modify the kick to better use these fins. I've gotten the Excellerating and Foil fins.

Please help!

SangP

knotical:
Generally, faster and shallower. Closer to a swimmer’s kick.

Force Fin provides a kinda hokey (but kinda cute) “training” video here:
http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_wisewords/releases/2Instructor.htm

One word of caution: Force Fins require a little re-education. They were designed for a much higher kick frequency than other fins. Rather than utilizing a long, slow kick or a bicycle kick, Force Fins perform best with a normal swimmer’s kick. It may take a few laps around the pool to get back into the habit of this natural flutter, kick, but the results will be worth it.

--- Vince Rhodes for Sport Diver Magazine, Nov/Dec Issue 1994

-As I would have said it myself...

I :07: my FF Pro! (But looking for something sharper...)

I can't comment on the performance of the tangent delta formulation but they seem to be excessively pricey for the small increase in performance (according the arbitrary scale FF uses to rate their fins). Also, stiffness is not always better because it affects comfort, too. But I'll defer to those who have actually tried them.

I am a long-time user of the FF Pro model and was generally happy with it, especially the fit, bungie strap, and manueverablily but I wanted to improve my air consumption (the classic FF kick did not seem conducive to that) and I also wanted a fin that I could frog kick with when I wanted (doole, I am truely impressed that you can frog yours).

So, I was asking the support guy at FF about their fins (I kind of wanted to probe someone who has access to them all) and he said his favorite by far was the regular Excellerating model which is longer and narrower than the classic FF shape of the Original and Pro models.

So, based on that recommendaton I got the Excellerating model. I have 18 dives on it an and for me is the perfect fin. I can't think of any thing I would change on it. Slower kick cycle and adequate frog kick. Force Fin detractors should try that model.

KOMPRESSOR, it seems you like your current Pro model but just need it stiffer. Also, you said you weren't very concerned about cost. Seems you would be best with the stiffer tan delta polyurethane in either the classic shape or the slightly larger Extra model.

liberato:
KOMPRESSOR, it seems you like your current Pro model but just need it stiffer. Also, you said you weren't very concerned about cost. Seems you would be best with the stiffer tan delta polyurethane in either the classic shape or the slightly larger Extra model.

Yes, I really do like the same things you like with the FFs. My change came with my new config of wing/backplate which seems to give me less drag, and therefore I could benefit from a stiffer fin than my FF Pros without the cost of loosing comfort. I base this on my different experience with the Jet Fins, with and without a regular front BCD.

I'm not sure about the larger Extras, though I wouldn't mind trying them! As an FF lover I'm sure I would give them objective "test results" :eyebrow: (Ya sure you betcha! Ha ha!)

Anyway, I've contacted the Norwegian importer ( www.nemo.no ). So far no reply about the TANs...

Hi,

I'm not convinced about the stiffness of the tan delta material because when I was at the local distributor I had the chance to flap the regular and tan fins and I found that the tan fins seem to be more flexible rather than stiff.

In fact the tan material seems to feel more like stiff rubber compared to the regular stuff. I would say the tan material has a better rebound but it is more flexible than the regular stuff.

Anyone, wanna comment?

SangP

SangP:
Hi,

I'm not convinced about the stiffness of the tan delta material because when I was at the local distributor I had the chance to flap the regular and tan fins and I found that the tan fins seem to be more flexible rather than stiff.

In fact the tan material seems to feel more like stiff rubber compared to the regular stuff. I would say the tan material has a better rebound but it is more flexible than the regular stuff.

Anyone, wanna comment?

SangP

I don't remember what they feel like on land. Life needs to get a lot more dull before I get around to checking THAT out. However, I will tell yiou that the deltas feel a LOT stiffer than the pros in the water.

Well there the uglyist fins I have ever seen! they look like something you
would ware with a duck costume. but a LDS has let me try out a pair for
this weekend and iLL come back and give you my opion for what it is worth.

GotAir

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom