How many here are DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh? Except for the toast thing.

LOL

please see Rick Murchison responce on page two for a more formal presentation.

DIR is all dependant upon your diving, TECH DIR, CAVE DIR, REC DIR, YOUR WIFE'S DIR etc......

rough seas make men from boys & makes soggy toast.....

Scubanole,

Since you have asked for some costs, I have just bought a backplate setup and the cost from one of the stores here was as follows:

OMS SS Backplate - $110
OMS Harness - $65
OMS STA - $75.00
Dive Rite Trek Wing - $180.00

Totals out to $430.00 without considering the weights.

As far as weights go, it can range anywhere from a couple of bucks for a weight belt to a whole lot for something like a DUI harness. OMS, Dive Rite and Halcyon all do a version of integrated pockets for the harness.

JoelW

Scubanole,

It's been a while since I priced out any equipment. I highly recommend the Halcyon harness and wing. I got all my stuff from Stingray Divers in New York (www.stingraydivers.com) and have been very pleased their service. When I was pricing gear out a few years ago, the Halcyon was much cheaper than other so called tech BC's like the RIG and the Ranger.

Good luck.

Mike

thanks for the prices. From the looks of it there is no reason not to go ahead and get the bakc plate and wings if they feel right. That way if the future does hold the need for doubles and tec diving your already starting out right. Anyway thanks for the info., and this is a great source of information.

Hey Folks!

Mr G Irvine and WKKP have repeatedly accomplished some remarkable dives, with no fatalities. It only stands to reason that they must be doing something right! I do not agree with the near fanatical methods of endorsing the DIR principals, but have taken alot of their methods and adapted them to become part of my own gear config and beliefs. Halcyon was formed to provide equipment that was not avail on the commercial market. I for one wish they were around before I bought my OMS wings. The majority of our tech diving is done on open ocean deep wrecks and some DIR principals just do not suite our enviroment however, most do.

I suppose what I'am saying is if someone has proven that their method is safe and practical, why wouldn't you listen to what they have to say.

My .02

Back
Top Bottom