TDI - Extended Range Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interestinh how Deep Air polarizes out the crowd quickly.I am a moderate in these discussions,but to adress to points 1.Padiscubapro ....Narcosis is not manageable or predictable from dive to dive,day to day or diver to diver.It is however one of many risks we may decide to accept based on our desire to dive where He is difficult to obtain.I've seen people cooked at 100' that dove with me to 150' the day before.I accept that ,but limit my exposure to it as much as is convenient,expedient and possible,but I don't lie to myself and others that I'm immune.2.WYDT at 150' in tropical waters theres little chance of missing much or really getting into trouble .That's the other side of this.Most of the guys who led the way on He dove Air until He was available AND they could afford to use it.An END of <100'in tropical waters is a joke.He is our friend and I use it.I just don't see vehement chest-beating,finger-pointing as a very good way of discussing our actual experiences with air and He.When I hear LY or UP talk about early days they mention air and how much they appreciate the clear head mix gives you.They seem to remember what they saw there tho.I'd really like one day to get a head count to see who all has been deep on air >130' a lot and diving mix now on the same spots .

This subject does polarize the tech crowd. It always seem to be down the lines of narcosis. Well narcosis is BS!!!! Even the deep air divers know it is bad, or they would not train to deal with.

The thing is, bad voodoo starts happening inside the human body around 2.5 to 3 ATA of nitrogen. Stuff that you can not decompress and looks like DCI. Feeling more energetic after a dive is another benefit to trimix diving. No more having to sleep in the back of the van after it is all over. What about remembering the dive you were just on. How about limiting you exposure to making mistakes.

Divers love nitrox. Oxygen displaces the some of the nitrogen and divers are diving longer and feeling better. Well if you are going to dive deep and you dive nitrox, why screw yourself hard by putting all the nitrogen back in. Keep on displacing that nitrogen out of the cylinder with helium. Then enjoy diving for diving. Instead of performing deep air voodoo experiments on yourself.

KLJ

Originally posted by WYDT
Places where He is not available??

You're really going to risk your life for a dive just because He isn't available??

You risk your life on every dive no matter how deep it is. Every decompression table or no decompression table is based on theory not fact.

Why not wait until it IS available or address your concerns with the dive operators on the island? I'm sure if people quit coming they would GET He in a hurry!

If you look at the Bikini Atoll website closely you will find that it states He is no longer available. If my memory serves me correctly the reason they quit supplying divers with He is because the cost got so prohibitive that there customers willingly refused it and opted for air/Nitrox.

Besides you're not going to remember much of that dive past 150ft to that ___ maru anyway are you?? What's the point to spend several thousands of dollars to get there then not remember the dives??:confused:

I was very disappointed to find out that He is no longer available at Bikini Atoll. I do agree that it would be a more memorable safer dive using Trimix. But now I have to make a choice again. Do I give up on my dream trip to Bikini Atoll? Do I go to Bikini Atoll and dive only to 130 feet and not see the remainder of the ship or other dives? Do I dive deep air like thousands of others have safely done and see the wrecks that I want to see.

Heck, it sounds like an opportunity at Truk to me!

DSAO!!

Wishing there were better solutions to the problems!

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom