No 300 bar DIN valve for LP tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juris Diver

Registered
Reaction score
After reading all the posts on this board recommending LP 104s, I decided to look into it. My LDS (Sport Chalet) says 300 bar DIN valves are NOT available for LP tanks. They say you have to go with a 200 bar DIN valve. Is this a bunch of crap?

:newbie:

P.S. On this upcoming Memorial Day, let's not forget to remember Sept. 11.

:tribute:

Originally posted by Juris Diver
After reading all the posts on this board recommending LP 104s, I decided to look into it. My LDS (Sport Chalet) says 300 bar DIN valves are NOT available for LP tanks. They say you have to go with a 200 bar DIN valve. Is this a bunch of crap?
Lemme put it this way: they definitely need breath mints....lots and lots of strong breath mints. :rolleyes:

I have 300 bar DIN valves on my PST LP104s. No worries.

I think Sherwood makes a 300 in 3/4 inch. If not, go with a Scubapro 200, you won't notice the difference. I use Scubapro 200s on both my stage bottles, they're rock solid valves.

Tom

Another option is to buy the 104s without valves, then order modular K-valves or H-valves and/or manifold from another source.

Check out the offerings from Dive-Rite, Halcyon, and Sea-Elite.

I've been doing some hunting around on an Australian dive board - a 2400psi LP tank is very rare down under. Apparently the norm for a "LP" steel tank is 207 bar, which is 3000psi, and a "HP" tank is 228 bar, which is 3300psi. Tech divers use 3/4" NPSM (same as 3/4"-14NGS) 300 bar DIN valves on both. A 232 bar valve is also available, presumably the same thread depth as a 200 bar DIN valve you would see stateside.

A number of people have come to this board with "advice" from that particular LDS that they've had to question... and have answered correctly.

There are no 200 bar valves that will fit a 300 bar tank. (Safety concern!)

There are plenty of 300 bar valves that will fit a 200 bar tank.

Except maybe for aesthetics, 200 bar DIN or yoke valves are perfectly serviceable on a 200 bar tank. There is no added safety value in having a 300 bar valve on a 200 bar tank. There is no additional danger of the Din becoming unscrewed under pressure, and there are other weaker points in the reg if it sustains a hit (the shorter DIN fitting will probably not break first).

That being said, it is possible that your LDS does not have access to a 3/4" 300 bar DIN. OR, they don't see the need to stock it. Or... well there are just TOO many "or"s to get them all into the water.

The manager of the shop says he teaches technical diving, yet he says he's never heard of ANYONE requesting a 300 bar DIN valve on an LP tank. I told him to check out this board!

This is the same guy who, when I asked him what his setup is, couldn't remember his tank manufacturer or the type of first stage he uses. All he kept talking about was how he uses a long hose a wraps it several times around his head. <shrugs>

Anyway, he says his "supplier" can't get 300 bar DIN because they don't "fit" on LP tanks. He says he can "put a 200 bar DIN on if you want." Said something about how even if 300 bar DIN was available for an LP, the burst disk in a 300 bar DIN valve is unsafe to put on it.

Whatever.

Originally posted by Juris Diver
I told him to check out this board!
Better yet, have him check out:

http://www.cpostores.com/diverssupply/search.htm?step=2&viewfrom=1&numresults=10&searchterm=manifold

(I hope that isn't a page that times out).

Note that both the 200 BAR and 300 BAR vales are available in 3/4 thread.

Show him the page, and then order from that page since your LDS appears unable/unwilling to get one for you. The SeaElite is an excellent manifold.

Roak

Ps. I have 300 BAR DIN on my doubles (low pressure 104s) as well as all my stage/deco bottles (AL80s & AL40s).

Back
Top Bottom