Lightest/smallest BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Bp and wing is a low profile set-up because there is nothen to them. With some of them your stuck with whats available. Then companies like dive rite have accessories that you can add to the set up. Thats good,but it does have it's place. Now the Black Diamond is considered Sea Quest's answer to a tech vest which is where the BP and wing falls into.
If you want to stay in the bounds of regular diving that'll give you all the accomidations that you would expect out of a BC but with the performance and comfort of the Black Diamond then check into the 2005 Balance. Sea Quest has gone and took out everything that a diver would'nt need and chopped it down for easier use, storage, and travel. On top of that it is NOT a beginner BC. check into it.

BP/W with aluminum plate was already suggested (very flat, light weight, versatile system) another small idea is the Triple-L Aquarius - though I don't think it has an integrated weight system - it was designed as a "travel" BC - http://store.triple-l.biz/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=79 Might be worth checking out ...

Tim

ippy01:
Would love suggestions for a BC that is:

* The easiest to pack, lightest, smallest, etc.
* Has room for non-removable weights in the back
* Is weight integrated
* Can accept a quality power inflator/regulator-octopus (can't imagine any BC's can't accomodate this feature, but thought I should specify it)

I need very little lift and am most interested in having the barest minimum amount of "stuff." I currently use a SeaQuest Black Diamond which is a fine BC, but is ridiculously hard to pack and lug around.

Have you looked at the Mares Jubilee? 3.3 pounds back inflated 30# wieght integrated (20 ditch/10 trim) and 34# of lift. You can get them for under $275.00 at Scuba.com. I purchased this BC and just received it. The BC fits great and has a nice adjustable CB.

Well I'm giving the Mares Jubilee high marks.
I set out a month ago to find a BC that would travel in a
Lrg snorkel bag with my regs, mask, fins, suit, booties and
a small Save a Dive kit etc..Tropical waters only and diving
from a boat. all this fit into a L snorkel bag No Prob!. its as
cut down as it can get. it does have weight intergrated pouch's
but I removed them and the little knobs that attached them to
the BC. it has 4 HD D-ings and a small pouch in the CB for some
D-fog. it also has 2 zippered pouch's in back for some trim weights.
It is what it is! A tank mount, flotaion device and a way to strap it
on you Thats It Period!

Carry on Pls

GotAir

GotAir:
Well I'm giving the Mares Jubilee high marks.
I set out a month ago to find a BC that would travel in a
Lrg snorkel bag with my regs, mask, fins, suit, booties and
a small Save a Dive kit etc..Tropical waters only and diving
from a boat. all this fit into a L snorkel bag No Prob!. its as
cut down as it can get. it does have weight intergrated pouch's
but I removed them and the little knobs that attached them to
the BC. it has 4 HD D-ings and a small pouch in the CB for some
D-fog. it also has 2 zippered pouch's in back for some trim weights.
It is what it is! A tank mount, flotaion device and a way to strap it
on you Thats It Period!

Carry on Pls

GotAir

Hi GotAir,

I got your message. Thanks for responding. I actually did a little test and put 30# of weight in the integration pockets and then filled up the Bladder manually. After adding additional 11 lbs for a total of 41 lbs, it was still floating. It took 43lbs to sink the BC in fresh water. More than enough for the gear I will be using. This BC is going to be a great all around BC (Traveler cold,warm water). It also fits like a dream.

Happy Diving!!

Scuba Diving magazine just did a review of 11 travel friendly BCDs in their March issue.
I'm also strongly considering buying one to drag far far away (where I dive). I've been renting thus far my BCD + reg, now I'm thinking it would be better to own my gear.

Personally, I'm considering the Shewwood Tortuga, the Genesis Tropic, and the Zeagle Stiletto models. My lagging concern is that they are all back buoyancy BCDs, and like others I'm not sure about the face forward on the surface bit. This concern is diminishing :)

Side Bar

[ I've been renting thus far my BCD + reg ] :11:

MoonWrasse I'm sure most would agree here that
renting a reg is not a good Idea. its your life support!
You dont really know the service record on them. I
just know from my own exsperiance that rental regs
can cause troubles underwater for you :death2: . BCs would be
next inline as important gear and the rest you could rent.
Get a good set of regs and have them serviced each year.

Just concerned thats all.

Hey PugetDiver I'm sure you will enjoy your BC.
Keep intouch.

GotAir

MoonWrasse:
Scuba Diving magazine just did a review of 11 travel friendly BCDs in their March issue.
I'm also strongly considering buying one to drag far far away (where I dive). I've been renting thus far my BCD + reg, now I'm thinking it would be better to own my gear.

Personally, I'm considering the Shewwood Tortuga, the Genesis Tropic, and the Zeagle Stiletto models. My lagging concern is that they are all back buoyancy BCDs, and like others I'm not sure about the face forward on the surface bit. This concern is diminishing :)

Moving a little weight (8 lbs. in my case) to the rear/back "trim weight" pockets worked wonders for me against the old face-forward on the surface problem.

Deep Sea Supply in CA makes a very nice, small and light bp/w combo for single tank diving. Instead of the ss bp shown they also build one moulded from Kydex and reinforced with ss. That plate weights only 1.6 lbs. The 30lbs bladder is very slim.

DSS has lots of small and well thought out details in their gear, like the wedge blocks. They work like a charm. You can take of the bladder without removing the camband, very convinient for cleaning and packing. Craftsmanship is very good, too.

Another alternative, if you want to go with a "soft pack" rather than a solid bp is Oxycheq's harness. Their 30lbs and 45lbs wings are very low profile.

Nice thing on any of those is that you can configure them any way you want, with as many or as few accessories as you need or want. And for most part you can match and mix, Zeagle for example offers integrated releasable weights that work with (their) backplates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom