AOW in S'pore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pit

Registered
Reaction score
Due to the recent Tourist Agency crap, nobody seems to be conducting courses. I wish to take my AOW (PADI) in early April.

Anybody knows who still conducts AOW courses in S'pore ? I wish to take the course in S'pore. What are the charges ?

Thanks in advance.

Lots of dive operators do AOW water courses in singapore. You can go to www.yahoo.com.sg to do a search for a number of these centres. Not that many on the search engine though but a lot more operators in singapore. Scubacorner is one of the best in Singapore but actually did not like the way to try to persuade me for equipment purchases. I spoke to someone at friendly waters, really nice people.
The cost will depend on whether you plan to dive in singapore or in malaysia or indonesia. Not much to dive in singapore, so i would suggest taking up the course in singapore but choose the one where they take you to dive in malaysia, especially tioman or pulau aur.
Average cost i saw was about S$400 which wd be about USD$230. Hope this helps.

But I am afraid Scuba Corner has stopped all courses. Probably due to the Tourist Agency requirements.

In fact I took my OW with them. just too bad I guess.

Alright, try friendly waters becoz i understand that they have their own resort in pulau aur and i understand that deep blue sometimes go to them for accomodation. they are registered not as a dive operator and so may have escaped that clause.

Not sure if they still exist but I certified with Mako in Singapore like 10 years ago. I do agree you should get a package where the OW section is completed outside Singapore - if you have to do search and retrieve you wanna be able to see the object you have to go get!

Voln.

I would suggest trying Marsden Brothers in Singapore. They are doing AOW and other courses with the required dives taking place in Singapore at Pulau Hantu on Saturdays and Sundays.

marsbros@pacific.net.sg
http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~marsbros/

The vis may not be brilliant (although at the moment it is okay), but the instruction is good. Save the expensive trips to Malaysia or elsewhere for fun diving rather than learning skills.

... Andy

(No connection with Marsdens other than as a satisfied customer).

Hi,

Maybe you should try "Living Seas" to compare the charges. Living Seas uses Friendly Waters' resort in Pulau Aur. My girlfriend just took OW with them and Gideon See, her instructor is excellent.

Gideon See
Living Seas Diving Solution

Tel : +65 64350436
Mobile : +65 96386808

liang

i guess most AOW courses in singapore are priced between $350-$450 depending on where you go and such. Friendly waters have the ability to charge low prices as they own Divers lodge in aur but i hear some criticisms on them that they do most of their dives just off their lodge. But hey, thats just hearsay, besides, i find them professional and friendly. and wd have gone to them for my DM course if not for their pricing.
just compare btw a couple of the dive operators mentioned in this forum and email them directly if you have to.

I'm from Singapore but I prefer to do all my courses in P.Tioman Malaysia because of a number of reasons:

1) better vis, you would want to see where you are going and what your instructor is telling you. And it can't hurt to see some better sea-life while doing the course

2) You get a more relaxed vacation in Malaysia than you can ever get in Singapore and lastly..

3) I prefer to do the course with people who dive every single day for a living instead of Singaporean instructors who don't do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom