Fitness Member list @ a glance.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Natasha:
The list

adder70
adeline
aerodiver
alaity47
alcina
alwaysready2go
AmyJ
Azsilver
beachdivequeenbelam
Big-t-2538
bridgediver
BuoyantC
bwerb
CBulla
Chickdiver
chrisc
ChrisM
Cobaltbabe
Damselfish
Danny Valerio
Dee
Deskjockey
DiveMe
DiverG
diverdeb001
diver_paula
divinman
Djs
DMP
Donnie
DoUDive2
drdiver1952
Drtherc
El Orans
Ericdive
far_x
frankenmuth_tom
Finnatic
Fireboat57
Foo
Froglady
gt2003
Gwyl
Harisenbon
hnladue
Hoyden
IowaDiver
jdf
Jeddah Aquanaut
jewey4
jiveturkey
jonnythan
Jules64
jviehe
kamala
karmic_diver
Kayla
kccpa
kelphelper
kelpmermaid
kidspot
lamont
lisa4516
Lubold8431
Mel.B
melfox26
Mitten Diver
Muddy udders
Natasha
nauifins73
NauticalbutNice
nay
neophytediver
NetDoc
netmage
njrn2
Nomaster
norcaldiver
O2Addict
OrlandoRogue
Out2Sea
Queen
rab
rainbowangel
Randy43068
rjens
rob_m
RogerL
rpayne
Rosie
Saipanman
saf_25
ScubaBaby
scubaguy62
scubajen
Scuba_Jenny
ScubaJoe
scuba-punk
scubapup
Seaangel
Semper Dive
sideband
simbrooks
somethingfishy
spcoun
Stryker
tachyon
--tom--
Turtle Gal
vbscoutmom
west_mesa
wfmiller
whalerkyle
Wijbrandus
wrinkels
WVMike
write me in as well pls

I'm in.

I want to lose 40 pounds in 12 weeks. That's about 3.3 pounds a week. (Is that a reasonable amount to expect to lose each week?)

PS
:embarass:
Do I have to tell how much I weigh :11: or can I just post the weight loss/gain each week?

OK Kat! Good luck to all of us!

Kat:
I'm in.

I want to lose 40 pounds in 12 weeks. That's about 3.3 pounds a week. (Is that a reasonable amount to expect to lose each week?)

PS
:embarass:
Do I have to tell how much I weigh :11: or can I just post the weight loss/gain each week?

Oh sorry I didn't see your question. No, you don't have to tell anyone how much you weigh. Just the gains and losses!

1sttimer sorry didn't see you until now. Welcome!

A key to weight loss is to set realistic expectations and to build SLOWLY on success. Nearly ALL clinical studies have shown that for effective, LT weight loss and maintenance of the lower weight, one needs to make and sustain lifestlye changes: portion control, better food choices, increase exercise, elimination of unhealthy behaviors/habits, etc. Even weight loss presciption drugs show the same results.

A realistic weight loss goal is ONE pound per week. Anyone can drop 5-10 pounds fast -- it is water weight and will come back. However, to make a real difference takes time. It took time to gain the weight, it will take time to lose the weight.

The TWO alternatives to this are as follows:

(1) Bariatric surgery -- here you do have drastic weight loss -- as a cost of $40,000+ and a 1/300 chance of dying of complications of the surgery. Unless you are 100+ pounds overweight, no legitimate physician will do this procedure.

(2) VLCD (very low calorie diet) -- A structured very low calorie diet through a company such as HMR (see the HMR @ Home program) -- with counseling and support can help you hit this goal. However, to do so, you are basically completely changing your eating habits for the next 12 weeks. You have to consider yourself in "weight loss bootcamp" and follow the regiment to a tee. Doing so, you will lose a lot of weight fast. If you can handle this -- it is hard with families, kids, etc. -- then it can do the trick.

Carpe diem, baby!

Thanks Natasha,
What a relief! I just can't bring myself to put that number in print. I'll 'weigh' in on Thursday.

Gwyl,
I wasn't sure if 3 lbs. a week was considered too fast a weight loss. It didn't sound like a lot of weight.

I do not qualify f/ the bariatric surgery. I don't think I'd have it done, even if I was 100 lbs overweight. I do know 3 people who have had it done. One had many health problems relating to it & the other 2 had no troubles at all. Still, it's very drastic & it's a moot point anyway.

I can easily cut my calorie intake just by getting rid of the junk food. So it will not be like I am starving myself on some crazy fad diet. I am also increasing my exercise routine. I have been a slacker all winter. It's tough for me to be motivated when the weather is so nasty. I just want to hibernate in my warm house with my bad snacks. LOL! That 40 lbs. is the maximum, but I wanted to aim high. Even 25 - 30 would be OK.

Kat:
I can easily cut my calorie intake just by getting rid of the junk food. So it will not be like I am starving myself on some crazy fad diet. I am also increasing my exercise routine. I have been a slacker all winter. It's tough for me to be motivated when the weather is so nasty. I just want to hibernate in my warm house with my bad snacks. LOL! That 40 lbs. is the maximum, but I wanted to aim high. Even 25 - 30 would be OK.

Keep careful track of what you eat at first. You may find yourself eating bigger portions of the healthy options when you cut the junk. Your body will still want the calories to maintain balance. During the loss phase you should be a little hungry often. I usually drink a bottle of water everytime I get hungry when I'm trying to lose. If I'm still ravenous after drinking the bottle, then I figure it's more than a craving and I'll eat a SMALL healthy snack. Setup a time with a freind or a trainer for your workouts, it'll help you not to miss. Good luck, 40 is doable given enough time, I've lost over #35 from my highest to lowest. If you only have #40-50 to lose, the first 20 will come much faster than the last 20.

and as of this morning I've lost 46 lbs. I've tried to lose weight before but this time I realized it takes more then not eating junk food or simply cutting back. This is not to say I haven't cut back but this time I went on what I call a modified Atkins. I eat plenty, in fact I'm never hungry, I just have been watching my carb in take. The thing that was hard for me was doing without bread, but every once in awhile I'll splurg and eat a bagel or have the bread that I want. My problem stemed from the fact that my thyroid quit workiing and I gained a lot of weight. I figured that if I can get the weight off I can change my eating, exercise and most of all life style to keep it off. I've become a label reader if something has more then a couple of grams of carbs I don't eat it. I've been staying below 20 grams of carbs aday for this diet, you just have to remember that if something is lowfat the carb count will be higher. A friend that is a nurse said that there are only three types of food protiens, fat and carbs so if they adjust one the others have to change. In other words if the carbs go down the protien and fat goes up. Just read the label, you'll be surprised how much of the food we consume is full of carbs read sugars, even some vegtables and fruits. This will get the weight off then to tone you'll have to change your habits and get more exercise, but if you're like me a lighter body is easier to more and hopefully maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom