questions about Disabled person diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoryH

New
Reaction score
Im wondering if anyone here knows if there is anywhere near northern michigan that would be able/willing to train a disabled person to dive.Anyone with any info would be a huge help. My wife and i would like to get trained for diving but she is disabled and confined to a wheelchair.So if anyone has any info about the disabled diving that would be great.

You might want to look in to these folks: Handicap Scuba Association
Under “About HSA”, using the “find member” search, it appears there is an instructor in Grosse Pointe Park, and another in Milwaukee. Not real close, but just because they’re the only ones who show up in the search doesn’t mean there aren’t others closer that they might know of. Or email HSA directly.

http://www.diveheart.org/ in Illinois are another resource.

I am a HSA Instructor in Orlando (so it dosen't do you guys much good). But, just wanted to chime in on what was mentioned above. HSA is the way to go, get on their website and they will have instructors in your area. We are trained to teach disabled students up to and inclucing the quadriplegic. Good luck!

Im wondering if anyone here knows if there is anywhere near northern michigan that would be able/willing to train a disabled person to dive.Anyone with any info would be a huge help. My wife and i would like to get trained for diving but she is disabled and confined to a wheelchair.So if anyone has any info about the disabled diving that would be great.

Hi, I'm sure my friend who is an HSA Instructor trainer can help. Email Pam Bradley diverpam1@yahoo.com. Tell her I gave you her name. She can point you in the right direction. Good luck and have fun!:coffee:

Another organization to check into is Dive Pirates. My shop in Nebraska is working with them, and we've been in training to work with disabled divers. We have two quadriplegics who will be trying scuba with us in a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom