Bound for Michigan (Thumb)!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Heaven help me, right?

Leaving tomorrow for the thumb of Michigan, will be diving there July 29-Aug 1.

What are the water temps? Do I need my 400gm Thinsulate? Dry gloves?

Any DIR divers in the thumb?

Any other divers in the thumb wanna do some diving that week?

Where in the thumb will you be staying? If you are diving Lake Huron then yes it is cold below 30 feet. I do not use my dry gloves ever (including 36 degree water) so I cannot answer that for you but I know one buddy who would answer yes to that question.

Do you have charters planned? Share some more info. and I may be able to point you in some direction.

Where in the thumb will you be staying? If you are diving Lake Huron then yes it is cold below 30 feet. I do not use my dry gloves ever (including 36 degree water) so I cannot answer that for you but I know one buddy who would answer yes to that question.

Do you have charters planned? Share some more info. and I may be able to point you in some direction.

Hi,

I will staying Bad Axe, but I can drive anywhere around the thumb.

I'm not sure the charters run during the week, so I am wondering if there is any place for shore diving? I'm bringing my own Nitrox tanks, need a place to fill them for shore dives.

Thanks!

howdy

U
you will not find any depth (at least to my knowledge) for tolerable shore diving. I can put you in touch with folks who will dive around port Huron with you. Long drive but an interesting dive.

Anyone else with any suggestions?

Your tank fills should not be a problem

Bus

Try these -

Great Lakes Adventure
Captain Chris Roth,
989-738-7570
E-Mail: ckroth3037@hotmail.com

Explorer Charters
Captain Tom Carriveau
Home (989) 856-3182
Cell (989) 550-1234
Web: Explorer Charters Home Page
E-Mail: tomsden@comcast.net
Explorer Charters offers air, nitrox and trimix fills.

Rec & Tec Dive Charters
Capt. Gary Venet
20425 Villa Grande Circle
Clinton Township, Michigan 48038
Home/Fax: 586-263-6606
Cell Phone: 586-994-7858
Email: scuba4us@hotmail.com
Rec and Tec Scuba Dive Charters - Lexington Michigan, Thumb area Preserve, Sanilac Preserve

Chris is the president, and Tom the VP, of the Thumb Area Bottomland Preserve. Gary is the president of the Sanilac Shores UW Preserve. All three can help you.

Just got back from up there this weekend... most of the diving in the thumb is deeper but it is fabulous. I know that Chris Roth has a charter out of port austin and Gary V at Rec Tech charters is top notch and may be running something out of Harbor beach.

Have fun!

Rich

What were the water temps at depth?

Just got back from up there this weekend... most of the diving in the thumb is deeper but it is fabulous. I know that Chris Roth has a charter out of port austin and Gary V at Rec Tech charters is top notch and may be running something out of Harbor beach.

Have fun!

Rich

Things are just starting to warm up a bit but the water is still cold this year.

There is a great trip scheduled on the 1st out to the Wexford with Rec & Tec if you are interested.

What were the water temps at depth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom