Diving the Blue Heron Bridge?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeCountyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to talk specifically on diving the Blue Heron Bridge. What are the times you can dive it and WHY:confused: Some say you can dive it all day others say only once at high tide. More say dive only by permit. I have heard you can only dive one side of the bridge??? I am just at a loss because no site talks about the specifics of diving.

What are the Rules? Times? and other things need to know about diving the bridge. Any Info and experiences are welcome relating to the topic.

google "blue heron bridge"--read, you will find Wades page that has most of the info you seek--also find Cooltech's site thru his postings on scubaboard--his BHB info is up to date--then ask questions if any are unresolved.

Permiits refers to nite dives--various stores do free ones. ie. they get the permits........

Generally one dives at hi slack tide due to viz and tidal currents. But one could dive out front if needed to test gear or whatever at other times--out front meaning directly south off the beach and out of the swimming area. You will be somewhat out of the current here.

Last edited:
Hi LCD
Here's a summary. BHB has two spans, East (older) and West (newer). The East has great life but has been closed the past year for construction, so currently only the west span is open for diving.

I believe you are only allowed to be in the park between sunrise and sunset except by special permit. Several area dive shops have this special permit and sponsor night dives. Their rules require that they email to park admins the participant list 3 days in advance of the scheduled dive. Everyone must be out of the park by 10pm.

Timing with the tides. Check protides.com, saltwatertides.com, or the BHB fan page on facebook. (Select Lake Worth, Port of Palm Beach). Best times under the span are about 1 hr pre to 1 hr post - otherwise the current is screaming. Thats about 2 hrs dive time. There are also several boats at anchor just a couple hundred yards from the park's beach. There is plenty to see under them including small "wreck" full of life. This area is usually less impacted by the tidal currents.

Check out www.jamminbeach.com for more detailed info.

I also recommend going EARLY to get good parking especially on weekends or holidays.

I learned alot at BHB from doing most of my teaching there in 2010. And met lots of SBers there too. Hope this helps.

Thanks Folks great answers. I now feel better about planning a dive there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom