Need a little push (dwm)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then the "boutique" ops aren't running two trips a day from the same boat, end of story.

It's called quality vs. quantity and customer service - which means not rushing the morning divers because we have a schedule to keep.

True, it's difficult for those of us who run boutique shops to run a "true" 2-tank afternoon dive in the winter months due to the early night fall - but we routinely do a two-tank twilight/night dive, departing at 3:00 or 4:00ish during the winter. During the summer, it's easy to get a quality afternoon trip in without rushing the morning divers back. We depart between 2:00 and 2:30 in the summer months for an afternoon set of dives.

We most often get more quality bottom time in two dives than many get in 3 or 4 dives with the less expensive operations even with the AL 80's - a good DM knows how to plan the dive and profile to maximize quality bottom time.

As is always said - it's a matter of personal preference.

I've gotten away from Coz (was going 4 times a year) somewhat because it seemed there were always a lot of new divers whenever I went - plus, I live in S. FL, and cannot get enough of Jupiter, even after 2- 6 dives a month for the past 4 years - I would prefer 2 walls a day.

Were you in on that whale shark encounter a few weeks back? Saw the video on Youtube...twas awesome.

I don't understand this..I thought once the harbormaster closed down the diving...it was closed to everyone. I've not heard of any provisions, like "having a big boat"or what ever else might qualify. I'm not trying to argue, I would just like to know things for future reference since we do mostly dive Coz. Guess I thought when the harbor was closed it was for the safety of the boats/divers due to weather/current conditions etc. and noone went out.:confused:
The harbormaster usually will close to smaller boats. I believe that it is 40' boats or larger that can go out and then it is usually to the south end. If it is completely closed, than Aldora has boats on the east end of the island so you don't have to do shore diving.

We've been using DWM for several years and don't plan on changing ops unless Orlando goes somewhere else! They don't cut our bottom time short, if they were that kind of op we would not have kept using them. Orlando is our favorite and I usually email the shop with the dates we will be there and they put us on his boat. We have also used David and had great dives with him, too. I know they have other DM's, but we haven't used any of them in a long time. They seem to still run a good operation there since Martin passed away and I think if they kept getting complaints of short dives they would probably address it with the DM. For us, we don't have any reason to change. They are what most call a "no frills" operation. They do provide water and fruit, if you want anything else you will need to bring it. You will also need to bring your own jacket or towel. None of those things are even a reason I would choose a shop anyway. They do have one large boat that we've been out on when the port was closed to the smaller boats. Also, the surface interval may be spent on the boat or on a beach. I do know if you have been using Dive Paradise, Aqua Safari and Sand Dollar, you are going to love DWM. No more than 8 divers on a boat. Whoever you decide to go with, if they have small boats available...get on it. So much better than the big groups.

It's called quality vs. quantity and customer service - which means not rushing the morning divers because we have a schedule to keep.

True, it's difficult for those of us who run boutique shops to run a "true" 2-tank afternoon dive in the winter months due to the early night fall - but we routinely do a two-tank twilight/night dive, departing at 3:00 or 4:00ish during the winter. During the summer, it's easy to get a quality afternoon trip in without rushing the morning divers back. We depart between 2:00 and 2:30 in the summer months for an afternoon set of dives.

We most often get more quality bottom time in two dives than many get in 3 or 4 dives with the less expensive operations even with the AL 80's - a good DM knows how to plan the dive and profile to maximize quality bottom time.

As is always said - it's a matter of personal preference.

I think it's inappropriate for you to jump into a thread about one of your competitors to push your operation. This thread is about DWM, not BlueXTSea

That being said, much of what you state is very subjective but I absolutely think you both have a rightful place in the market.

Your five day / two tank package is $375 and DWM's is $275. In my opinion (yep, that's being subjective too), I will spend $365 and get DWM's five day / three tank package.

But that's just my personal preference.

Last edited:
Were you in on that whale shark encounter a few weeks back? Saw the video on Youtube...twas awesome.
No...wish I was - they have seen whale sharks about 3 times off Jupiter w/in the the last year and a half or so - you just have to be (very) lucky - Mantas a little more frequently, but its another rare ocourance

3 years ago I did the whale sharks off Isla Holbox - north of Cancun - fantastic experience

Take care - hope to dive w/ you next time you are in S. FL

Just returned from Blue angel. did the 2 tank am dives. My times were anywhere from 59-67 minutes on the first dive, using AL80's, and close to 60 minutes on the 2nd dive, (ran out of time before air). How can you get 100+ minutes on a second dive without approaching deco? Assuming you are not using Nitrox or staying less than 30 feet or just hovering at a safety stop for 40 minutes......or a 2 hour SI........

You are correct - you likely can't, if you are spending time AT DEPTH - so the 2nd part of the dive is spent real shallow. And Living U/W and Aldora go into the beach after the 1st dive and the surface interval is about 2 hours.

Your profile is similar to mine on trips to Coz; as I've posted, I don't see the value (and we are talking $30+ more a trip) in the extra time in the sand, or in the patch reefs, or hovering at 10 - 20 feet. You also frequently get "one guy" that stays at 15 feet only to say, "...well, I got an hour and 45 on that dive" - while everyone else is on the boat. :shakehead:

I don't see the value for the extra $$$ - but plenty do. YMMV

I might pay the extra if I was assured lots of dives in the Punta Sur area, or 2 walls every trip - but in 3 vacations w/ L U/W and at least 8 w/ Aldora, that never happend - so if I'm going to the SAME sites, spending the same time at depth, I think I'll save the money, which is not insignificant ( 5 days of diving X $30 = $150 buys a lot of food and beer in Coz).

I've dove with a handful of dive shops over the 8 years on and off I've come to Cozumel. Unfortunately when looking back at my dive log DM rated the least favorable. I've always been confused why I had such a different experience, since most of the responses about them are glowing. But my log shows 35 minute dives and a few other things that aren't much to glow about.

Oh well, I chaulk it up to maybe just an off day or maybe a dive master who isn't with them anymore. They seem to have a good rep so I'm sure they earn and deserve it.

We now dive with Aldora, we like it, everybody knows the advantages they provide, they are routinely discussed. I'm very glad they exist in the market place.

I think the comment about Christi's post being inappropriate is unfair. She isn't knocking a competitor nor "pushing" Blue XTSea, but simply explaining the differences between the boutique operators and others. She also makes it a point to say that it is a matter of personal preference...which indeed it is. Over many years of reading and posting to this board I have always appreciated Christi's contributions which have never slammed a competitor nor been overtly designed to solicit business. I have not been a customer of her's simply because I found a great comfort level with Jeremy on my first Cozumel trip and have stayed with Living Underwater ever since, but have no doubt that I would be equally as satisfied with Blue XTSea or Aldora who fit the bill for what I want in a dive holiday. That being said, I agree with Christi that the choice of dive op is a personal choice based on one's budget, preferences in length and location of surface intervals, length of dive and wants and needs in the way of pampering. This board should be a forum that encourages everyone to state their experiences with a variety of dive ops (both good and bad) so that people shopping for "their" best choice of dive op can make informed decisions. To that end I value contributions from Christi and any other operation especially when those posts are as balanced and non-commercial as I have found her's to be.

Back
Top Bottom