Rob Murphy Loses Legs to Boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best wishes to Rob for fast healing......My first instinct was to take the doc spearfishing...

but educating for the future is the right way. Thanks all for you efforts. Appreciate any updates.

I wish I belonged to SpearBoard as the love & positive energy being sent to Rob is so heartwarming that I feel I know him. Those are the posts I would want to be reading.

That said as one who doesn't post much there is rarely a day I don't think of you Rob & hope that it is a measure of comfort that so many people who don't know you care so much about you & your recovery. That is where most of us are focused-positive thoughts being sent your way. There are many, like myself, who read but don't post so don't think the Scubaboard community isn't there for you - we are. Trust me WE ARE!

Prayers & thoughts for a quick recovery
Deb

PS Can someone who is a spearboard member, fl-diver or speargirl?, send my message to Rob in case he doesn't read Scubaboard (which at this point I hope he doesn't -too negative sorry)

Deb,
I pasted your message into my latest spearboard post to Rob. I'm sure your well wishes are greatly appreciated by Rob and family.
Thanks, Jeff (fl-diver)

Thank you Jeff. There are many more here at Scubaboard that feel at this time only positive thoughts should be sent to Rob. There is time later for the what ifs & the legalese. I will dive every dive with more awareness for the changing situations around me & to the realization that not all understand or maybe care for what the dive flag means. I applaud all involved in the Dive Flag Awareness Day. I just bought the bigger legal boat flag to soon replace to my personal dive flag.
Deb

Shouldn't this have been in "Accidents & Incidents"? Might explain the slow response though the OP's title made it pretty clear.

I wish Rob a speedy recovery and further hope that the investigation reveals a solution so that this never happens again.

Long term for everyone. Pass the flyer out often and everytime you have the chance. If you want to letter write and petition address the legislature to increase the fine amount. Motoring up to a dive flag to me is like driving your car down the sidewalk.

Short term for the diver in question. I am not normally a proponent of Civil Suits but get your harpon sharp and throw hard into this Whale. HIS first thoughts were of a lawyer and not lending aid to a bleeding diver in the water he had just hit.

The jury will punish him severly with tears in their eyes.

At this point, it seems a lot of folks (except FWC & Martin County Sheriffs) have ruled out the possibility of this being an accident due a spun prop hub or steering failure (the story that was circulating the evening of the accident).
I've also seen it posted the the folks on the dive boat threatened the doctor with their spearguns and that's why he was unable to render aid.

What's true and what's not, I don't know, I wasn't there. And I'm certainly seeing a lot of conflicting information on the internet and considering that charges haven't been filed two weeks after the accident, it makes me think it wasn't as simple as the doctor ignoring dive flags and running away.

Supposedly the doctor is also a diver with decades of both diving and boating experience. That being said, if this was truly negligence and an attempt to avoid prosecution, then the doctor should lose both his assets and his ability to practice medicine.

In meantime, Rob Murphy needs our positive thoughts.

I included some scubaboard well-wishes in my recent spearboard post to Rob.
Here is Rob's latest post from spearboard:
"thanks for bringing that to my attention Jeff, I dont get over there (scubaboard) much. Please pass along my thanks from the bottom of my heart."

Shouldn't this have been in "Accidents & Incidents"? Might explain the slow response though the OP's title made it pretty clear.

I wish Rob a speedy recovery and further hope that the investigation reveals a solution so that this never happens again.

It was posted there. The day of the incident. 8 replies and 1 was the link to the spearboard thread by Chad.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/267513-incident-down-wpb-today.html

I posted here in this forum as the guy is local.

Bump.

Any diver reading this and the other thread should be jumping all over this accident. It's certainly wise to wait until all the facts are presented but let's not let this kind of accident just fade from our memories so fast.

I've seen boats come very close to dive flags. One yacht (60') I recall cruised right up to the beach in Mukilteo a couple of years ago, from the cars in the lot there must have been at least six divers under him. No one was hurt but the skipper's bank account.

Quick recovery, Rob.

it would really be helpful to hear all the facts. We could all learn from a factual recount of the event. Not to defend the boater, but did he leave the scene of the accident? Salmonboy states: "I heard it was a DOCTOR that ran him over and waited for his attorney at the dock BEFORE talking to authorities". No one mentioned that the boater left the scene of the accident, or whether aid was rendered?? Did the divers boat have a flag? Did the diver have his own flag? How far was the diver from the flag? Was the boat travelling too fast around other vessels/people. Was the boater intoxicated. These seem to be all unanswered.
Of course this is a tragic event. It is more tragic to think this was NOT the first time this has happened, nor will it be the last time. We all know how crazy and ill trained some of the boaters can be out there. We have all had to deal with some rude individuals. Too bad there arent more Marine Patrol on the water, particularly outside of the inlets. I see plenty on the Intracoastal, but few out on the water. I have had close calls on the water, and sometimes diving of Ft. Lauderdale, midday, on the weekend can be a scary proposition!!!! Certainly its one argument in favor of diving with the cattle boats. There is safety in numbers.
I would assume DAN would have great information for all us to learn more about this issues, and what can be done to increase our diving safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom